orienting the camera viewpoint to match the BG pic of the location

What is the best way to orient the camera viewpoint of the building model onto the background?

I noticed that when I go into Edit Camera that the background image disappears so I had to guess the first couple time where the stakes for the building location were.

I then used two fingers on the screen to orient the view, eventually ghosting the walls so I could see the stake placement in the rendered view behind the building.

It took over an hour of going back and forth , but I was able to do it eventually.

Am I missing something, or is there a more effecient way of doing it?

It's too bad one can't see the BG in Edit Camera mode.

Here's what I was able to achieve...

I think you want camera match by panzercad. Makes this a snap.

That does look interesting, and may be something to look into sometime in the future...but for now I need to do it this way.

I marked stake positions on tracing paper, and cut out a hole in the sheet aligned to them and taped it to the moditor to line up the camera perspective to the BG image for a subsequent rendering of another out building on this project.

anybody else do this sort of thing?

I own CameraMatch and it's great. But sometimes I simply fake it by taking a photo then using it as a RW's Background. When I do this I try to set the RW's Camera to as close as possible to where I was standing when I took the photo. Also, some photoshopping is usually needed to clean up the photo before use, to remove things that wont be there in the proposed design (trees, buildings, etc). Here is one recent example (attached). The difference with CameraMatch is that you don't need to photoshop the photo. You can simply define the area you wish to show. It also allows you to add shadows for a much more realistic look...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Craig,

If you're using Vectorworks 2013, download and take CameraMatch 2013 for a FREE 10 day trial:

CameraMatch 2013 Downloads

You may be interested in some of these links:

This is a gallery of user images:

CameraMatch Gallery

This 3 minute video gives you the basic idea of what CameraMatch does:

This 10 minute video shows you a CameraMatch rendering of an interior space being created (start to finish) in real time:

If you still want to see more (a lot more), this 50 minute video is of a recent Webinar I did. It's much more in depth with tips and tricks:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Craig,

If you're using Vectorworks 2013, download and take CameraMatch 2013 for a FREE 10 day trial:

CameraMatch 2013 Downloads

You may be interested in some of these links:

This is a gallery of user images:

CameraMatch Gallery

This 3 minute video gives you the basic idea of what CameraMatch does:

This 10 minute video shows you a CameraMatch rendering of an interior space being created (start to finish) in real time:

If you still want to see more (a lot more), this 50 minute video is of a recent Webinar I did. It's much more in depth with tips and tricks:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Matt, I a still using VW Designer 2011 for the forseable future, so do you have a backward compatible version for that version?

It definately seems like a plug-in worth having..

Craig, post back with your results!

Sure Matt, Here was the preliminary render. A ghosted version appeared at the beginning of this post.

I am waiting on approval to go onsite myself to take better pics myself, as what I had to work with was 640x480.

But this is what I was able to achieve manually matching to what was provided

Thanks for taking an interest.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks Matt, I a still using VW Designer 2011 for the forseable future, so do you have a backward compatible version for that version?

Craig,

CameraMatch 2011 is still available and compatible with both VW 2011 and 2012. Unfortunately, there is no trial period for that version.

Craig,

CameraMatch 2011 is still available and compatible with both VW 2011 and 2012. Unfortunately, there is no trial period for that version.

OK Matt, I will contact you (Monday) for pricing