Road/Pathway side modifier

Hello once again.

I seem to be having a challenge with my site model not adjusting/updating to the path/road which I have placed. The path is 12' wide, at the edge of the model and has site modifier box selected as you can see in one of the attached images.

You can see that the path is well above the downside edge of the model. Any ideas as to how I can get the model to update to the edge of the pathway?

Two questions/comments: first, what sort of Site Modifier? Is it part of a Road, Nurbs Road? Or is it just a Pad with a Texture Bed? Second, is the Modifier entirely surrounded by a Grade Limits object (it needs to be)? Oh and third, have you tried simply moving the object down or using the Send to Surface command??

Hi Peter

To answer your questions:

The site modifier is a Nurbs Road.It is placed on the edge of my site model and appears to touch the edge elevation. The land slopes away and thus the model (existing) surface drops beneath the road.

I am trying to place a 12' wide multi use path on this undulating edge and thought a narrow road was the simplest way to achieve this. The grade along the path is between 8-9% (not consistent) so I thought a pad would be tricky.

Grade limits are checked so slope at 3:1

Tried both... If I start to lower the elevation I loose path surface as it does not update the model as I would expect. Yes I do hit the update site model button after making adjustments.

Have you tried the following: First, select the Nurbs Road; then in the OIP click Resdistribute Stations (choose a reasonable spacing for your site - you can always do this again later and change the distance); Then Click the Send Stations to Surface Button. The Road should now be on the surface (or if the surface is tilted it may be partially buried). You might need to adjust individual stations, which is pretty easy. Just make sure that where it says Move (in the OIP) you have Vertex Only selected, otherwise the entire Road (all stations/vertexes) will move. Hope that helps.

I have done that before Peter, but I tried it again.

You can see that the path becomes buried on one side then is still in the air. If I play with the stations (which I have) I end up with the original image.

I am puzzled as to why VW will not create a pad for a road that runs along a slope. As you can see here even after updating the site model it has not effected either the model edge(which is road edge) or the landscape side of the path.

I guess one alternative is to set the path a meter lower and increase the paving depth... but this still does not effect the site model contour lines.

I wonder if it has something to do with the proximity to the edge of the Site Model?? In my tests here it seems to work fine (or as fine as it ever did). If it's really close to the edge, maybe try extending the Site Model (even if you have to fake it) and see what happens.

Also, if your file is small enough you could attach it. I might have time to take look later...

Thanks Peter...

The file is a monster so that's out. I agree that the edge of the model in relation to the road may be causing this issue.

I got a bit frustrated and started over using a sloped pad with texture. I worked well althought I have limited abilities to edit this. The station points on the road symbol are perfect.

I will try again and let you know how it works. In the meantime I have this, see attached, which works for me.

Thank you very much.