Objects assigned to "none" class, & other problems

rbkla

I've been trying to create plant symbols and having a number of problems:

1)When I try to create an Acer Circinatum specifically I get a message that my 2D and 3D objects are corrupted and have been replaced by 2D and 3D loci. Then my program crashes. This doesn't seem to happen w/ other plant choices.

2)When I create a plant symbol, the graphics are automatically assigned to the "None" class, even though I've carefully made sure that the individual graphics are in the class I want them in (Vegetation-New).

3)My tag leader line doesn't show up, and I can't figure out why. When I compare this file to an older one I worked on, it looks like in the previous file there were all kinds of new classes created automatically, such as Plants-components-tags, but this hasn't happened w/ my current file. I am wondering if this has something to do w/ the leader line not showing up. Is it supposed to be on this class? Did I miss a step where this class was supposed to be created?

Help!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi

I can't help with number 1 - it sounds like there is something corrupt with that plant symbol. I would try deleting it from the Resource Browser and creating a new one.

2)The individual graphics within the symbol can be classed however you want, but when you place the symbol itself, it will be placed in the active class. It sounds like the active class is the None class. On the Navigation palette, place the check mark to the left of the Vegetation-New class and then place your plants.

3) The tag leader line - this is because your tags are very likely being placed in a class which does not have Use at Creation set within its properties. Edit your plants and change the Tag class to Plants-Component-Tags. If you have used any of the standard plant graphics that come with Landmark, you will have this class available in your file. You just need to make sure it is the default class for all tags.

I wrote a blog post on this that might help you further:

http://www.vectorworks-training.co.uk/blog/plant-tool-migration-in-vectorworks-2013/

Hope that helps

Thanks for your comments.

1) Yes-I'm not sure what is happening w/ the particular plant "Acer Circinatum", so I assign it another name and then go back and edit.

2) It looks like my graphic is automatically assigned to the None class, even though that class is not current and is turned off, and I don't understand why. Here is what happens:

I set my current class to Vegetation-proposed. The None class is off. I draw a circle and it shows that it is in the Vegetation-proposed class. ("Use at Creation" is checked in the Vegetation-proposed class, by the way). I create a plant symbol from the circle. The plant symbol is in the Vegetation-proposed class, but the actual graphic of the circle is in the None class (when I turn on the None class the circle appears, when I turn it off it disappears, but an outline shows for the plant symbol.) I've tried to edit the 2D graphic component-the circle itself-but it shows that the current class is vegetation proposed here too. Basically, I can't find where or why its assigned the graphic to the None class, and therefore can't figure out how to change it after the fact or ideally, stop it from doing that in the first place. For now, I'm just making sure the None class is on always, but its annoying.

3)I've set the tag class to Vegetation-proposed as well, but these don't show up either. It seems that I have to set my tag class to something separate from my symbol, and then it shows up. Again, not sure why.

Any further insight you have would be great.

Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the same problem as Rbkla with plants and None class. Have you maybe solved this problem and can you help me?

I also have a problem with plants in camera view- when i make renderworks camera view, plants seem to have white background instead of transperent one. (When I look at the 3d model, everything is OK, problem happens only in camera view)

Thanks,

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The short answer to the question above was... NEVER turn off the None class. Even if you have created plants in a different class, the None class is still used internally within the plant. As as soon as you turn off the None class, all plants will disappear. So, keep the None class visible.

I am not sure what is happening with your camera view. Presumably you have Renderworks (or you would not be able to make a camera view), and you are rendering with a Renderworks mode? Such as Renderworks Style > Realistic Exterior Final. That should show your plant images with a transparent background.

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...