Import data to Speaker tool?

dbrumbach

I am using VW2013 and see that the speaker tool has several generic audio speakers included (d&b, EAW JF80's, Nexo LS1200, etc). This is very handy if you use these speakers on a project. However, I typically use different boxes pending on the supplier chosen.

I have been attempting to insert a new speaker type in the generic list with no luck....Is there a way to import data for a particular type of speaker form a symbol with the data included?

I know that I can manually enter & save a speaker type, but it would be nice to pull from symbols....

Thanks in advance.....

Dave -

There are multiple parts to the answer to your question...:

1) Speaker/AudioBox 2 and Speaker Array/AudioArray 2 will import data from files stored in the "/Libraries/Defaults/Audio Tools/Speakers (or, '/Bumpers')" folder. The tools look in those folders stored in either the main application folder or the User folder.

2) The tools are looking for Symbols stored in files in those folders. When the tools are used in VW2013 you can select a specific file in those folders, allowing you to see, for example, just the products from a specific manufacturer. (A subtle but nice 2013 feature. When used in older versions of VW, the tools see all of the Symbols at-once in a single list.)

3) To be usable by the tools, the Symbols have to have the "__ATS-SpkrModData" or "__ATS-BumpModData" record attached and appropriate data entered into the fields of that record.

4) When you import a speaker or bumper (by choosing the "Import..." option in the "Type" pop-up on either the OIP or the "Configure Array..." dialog), the speaker/bumper is added to your Audio Tools Library (the XML file found in "/Libraries/Defaults/Audio Tools") so you can use the speaker or bumper later w/o having to import again.

5) A few speaker/bumper Symbols are included in the initial VW installation. More are available via Service Select or other users who have made their libraries available. I've also heard from some of our users who have shared VW files containing multiple pre-configured Speaker/AudioBox 2 objects that other users can select and save to their Libraries.

This is probably more info than you were wanting but you're not the first to ask and I hope that something, here, is somewhat helpful.

• 1 month later...

Is there a way to import a symbol and actually use the symbol that you imported? I did your import, but all it seems to do is take the data from the ATS-SpkrModData and draw a new speaker. If that is all it is going to do then why go through the import process?

Is there a way to import a symbol and actually use the symbol that you imported?...If that is all it is going to do then why go through the import process?

Chad -

For now, I'm sorry; there is no way to import the actual Symbol geometry. The import process simply grabs the data connected to the Symbols.

The logic behind using Symbols for the import process is two-fold: 1) It is solid way to distribute and/or share the different dimensions and other data for stock bumpers and speakers. 2) It gets the infrastructure in-place and prevents us having to reinvent things totally if we ever do create a way to import the geometry.

I know; not what you were wanting to hear, but I hope that at least sheds a little light on things.

How would you draw a speaker like the jf100 that has a depth to the front height before it angles to the back depth?

Until we implement either > 6-sided speakers or actual Symbol geometry importing, I'd approximate the best I could with 6 faces - probably by using the front face, depth, and back face dimensions. I know, FAR from what you're ultimately wanting, at least a work-around of sorts for now.

Thanks for your help Andrew. Most of this I pretty much knew, but wanted to confirm just in case. Something I did notice, when you are importing a new speaker, you cannot do it from the tool preferences. You have to first drop a speaker in, then click configure array from the OIP. That is the only place I find the import option in the speaker menu.

Something I did notice, when you are importing a new speaker, you cannot do it from the tool preferences. You have to first drop a speaker in, then click configure array from the OIP.

That is working as-designed. For importing to be enabled you have to have a "real"/already-placed object - either a Speaker/AudioBox 2 object or a Speaker Array/Audio Array 2 object.

It just seems like an extra step. I have to put an object in the drawing that I don't want, just to convert it to the object I do want.

If what you're ultimately wanting is to import a speaker for AudioBox 2, is there a reason you're not using that PIO from the get-go? The importing option is there, as-well.

Thanks for all your work on these tools, they have helped me out a great deal!

My pleasure!

I don't have the import option when I click on the tool then the Tool Preferences(or just drop in the speaker from either v2 PIO). The only way I have found to get the import option is to use the 'AudioArray 2' or 'AudioSpeaker 2' tool, drop in a speaker, then go to the OIP and click on configure array.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The preferences is where you go to set the defaults for all tools. Importing a new symbol is not part of setting a preference so that's why it's not an option in the preferences dialog. Once you add the symbol to the library from within the object it should become available as a choice in the preferences dialog.

Yeah, but even if I don't set it in the preference, and just drop in a new PIO it does not appear there. Like I said the only way too import is to put a dummy speaker in the drawing, then edit that speaker. It seems like that is an extra step. I know eventually I will have my library built up and this will be a none issue, but just wanted to point out what I thought might be a bug.