Object send to surface

J. Wallace

Hello

I created a hybrid object, a no post road side barrier. It looks great in top plan view but when I send this to surface and look at it in 3d you can see that the middle of the object has been sent to surface and thus it sinks the one end and elevates the other. I have at least a hundred of these to place along the edge of the model and hope there is a simple fix for this.

I agree that you will need to rotate the object to match the slope of the road. However that could mean creating multiple instances of the object to fit different degrees of slope. The Send to Surface is not intended to rotate (or fit) an object to the surface, merely place it there.

There may be an easier way. Depending on your specific needs (modeling for presentation or for tabulation of specific pieces needed?) you could try using an Extrude Along Path object, with a Nurbs as the path. The path will of course need to follow the road both in plan view and as it goes up/down...

After further thought, although the EAP method will work, it may not look exactly correct unless you are carful to use only straight segments. Otherwise it will show curved concrete barriers... You might try using a number of EAP's (it will hopefully be less than the actual number of barriers if placed individually).The advantage to this is that you might be able to make one (or several) very long sections of the barrier. The downside is that long sections will not show breaks between the actual pieces, as there would be in real life...

Try this:

Draw a Nurbs curve on the surface of your dtm along the barrier line.

Select both it and an instance of the barrier Symbol

Edit>Duplicate along path - Fixed Distance (=symbol length + gap)

(Start offset 1/2 symbol length)

(Tangent)

The symbol cannot be a hybrid symbol.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8721&filename=Fit%20objects%20to%20Site%20Model.png

I tried this out bcd and I'm having some issues.

I place the 3d object, then rotate/adjust it so that it is sitting on the surface and is level (in relation to the grade), then duplicate along path and all the barriers sit just below the surface as indicated on the attachment. If I can fix the elevation issue this will work wonderfully.

I tried this out bcd and I'm having some issues.

I place the 3d object, then rotate/adjust it so that it is sitting on the surface and is level (in relation to the grade), then duplicate along path and all the barriers sit just below the surface as indicated on the attachment. If I can fix the elevation issue this will work wonderfully.

Hi Jamie,

You don't even need to (shouldn't) rotate the symbol.

Just be sure that it's created so it's sitting on the ground plane. with it's insertion point in the center of the base.

Then using the Duplicate along Path it will be automatically rotated to follow the slope of the nurbs curve.

In my example I used a curve with degree 1 to ensure it consisted of straight segments.

Unfortunately Place Plant will not rotate the symbol for you.

Are you sure you're not using a hybrid symbol for the DAP?

It looks to me that this is why it cannot rotate it to fit the Nurbs curve slope.

Again - here it is but with a simplified nurbs curve.

The DAP command apparently doesn't use the insertion point as I had thought. It uses the geometric center, so you will have to elevate either the symbol itself or all the barriers by 1/2 their height.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8726&filename=Fit%20objects%20to%20Site%20Model%20II.png