Is there no Truss object

Craig D.S.

Is there no Truss object?

I would like to show a TimberFrame Truss supporting a canopy, and it seems like one has to insert individual Framing Menbers or extrude profiles

Take Care

Craig

using VW Designer 2011 SP5/Renderworks

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Intel Core i7 Quad-core i7-950 3.06GHz Processor

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified it was Roof Truss that I was trying to make, and was looking for a customizable Roof Truss Object...I was aware of those light trusses...but did not notice any roof pitch adjustments in any that I checked out...if you know the name and the location of one that has roof pitch adjustments in the symbols, please let me know

Thanks

For a Timber Frame truss the best practice I have found is to draw the profile of the truss in a side view, then extrude (then go find the extrude and drag it to the wall line - all extrudes are created at 0,0,0 by default). Next, switch to Top/Plan View and draw a filled rectangle that exactly matches the plan footprint of the Extrude. Select both the Extrude and the Rectangle and run the command Modify>Create Symbol (make sure to to "Leave Instance in Place", accept the other default settings, name it what you like). Now you have a 2d/3d Hybrid Timber Frame Truss Symbol! It can be Duplicated, Rotated, etc. etc. If you want to add metal brace plates with bolts, just double click on any one of the symbols (or option click on the symbol in the Resource Browser) and choose Edit 3d. Add whatever you like. All instances of the symbol will now contain these added items.

FWIW, there used to be a very simple 3rd party plug-in which created common roof trusses (Queen, W, etc.) but I'm not sure it exists any longer. And as I recall it wasn't really any good for timber frame type trusses.

Thanks Tamsin

I have beed playing with the framing member tools and can see a use for them. though I did not notice a King Post option or member yet that can have a slope cut on both sides

So I did the extruded profiles method...

However, now they want to see how a scissor timber truss will look in the front of the porch...and that wont have a KP

Which brings me to my next question...

Can the framing member tools be used to make a scissor truss? where the seat cuts would have to be stacking on on the other, and the peak of the lower one butt under the slope cut of the one above...It wont matter that the left and right ones would overlap in the lower ceiling point...food for thought...

For a Timber Frame truss the best practice I have found is to draw the profile of the truss in a side view, then extrude (then go find the extrude and drag it to the wall line - all extrudes are created at 0,0,0 by default). Next, switch to Top/Plan View and draw a filled rectangle that exactly matches the plan footprint of the Extrude. Select both the Extrude and the Rectangle and run the command Modify>Create Symbol (make sure to to "Leave Instance in Place", accept the other default settings, name it what you like). Now you have a 2d/3d Hybrid Timber Frame Truss Symbol! It can be Duplicated, Rotated, etc. etc. If you want to add metal brace plates with bolts, just double click on any one of the symbols (or option click on the symbol in the Resource Browser) and choose Edit 3d. Add whatever you like. All instances of the symbol will now contain these added items.

FWIW, there used to be a very simple 3rd party plug-in which created common roof trusses (Queen, W, etc.) but I'm not sure it exists any longer. And as I recall it wasn't really any good for timber frame type trusses.

Thanks Peter, that is what I infact did...please see also my reply to Tamsin for my next question

Hi Craig, While the Framing Member is quite useful for certain things, in my experience roof trusses is not one of them... So the short answer is No, I don;t think so. However, if you've already got a Symbol you can just duplicate it (in the RB) and make any changes for the new (scissor) design. After that, simply select all the existing Symbols and click Replace, choosing the new scissor truss as the replacement...

Here is what I was able to produce using the Framing members for the scissor tinber truss, and Column for the KP.

One other thing I would like to do is...

put ridge caps on the gazebo roof hips to make it look more real...i don't imagine that there is a ridge capp roof accessory...nope just checked...whell I guess I'll have to extrude a little thickness on a roof face work plane...

oh rats...don't know how to upload an inage attachment, though I did it once before

Edited by Craig D.S.
Framing Member tool has wooden truss with pitch and angle settings.

I saw that it had a Wood Floor Truss, but I was looking for a customizable Roof Truss that had two oposing rafters set by the same pitch and had separate ceiling, and colar tie heights like my old beloved ArchiCAD 2005 that was two computers ago...

I ended up using all framing Member Components to make one though

Thanks

• 1 year later...