There are Four BIM Flavours

Christiaan

Good piece.

http://www.shoegnome.com/2013/01/31/there-are-four-bim-flavors/

I think this is the paradigm NV never fully understood. I don't think they ever thought, 'little BIM's going to be the first step so how do we help our customers master that first?' To them BIM is social BIG BIM and that's what they're building VW to be, see you on the other side.

We're doing the little lonely flavour. And we're lucky to still be there frankly.

It is the lonely little bim that each office needs to master first. All other bim types depend on it's workflows and tools....

How can you expect that an office will collaborate through exchanging models if they aren't capable of creating one, because they can't get all '2D' info out of it in a fast and easy way?

Edited by DWorks

I think this is the paradigm NV never fully understood. I don't think they ever thought, 'little BIM's going to be the first step so how do we help our customers master that first?'

This probably depends partly on the fact that the program is/has been developed for several disciplines not only architecture and partly on the fact that there are no architects involved in the actual R&D.

IMHO Big Social BIM demands the same of all disciplines while little BIM demands different things for each discipline..... NV have been forced to develop little BIM for each of its disciplines and because of its limited budget haven't really been able to get there, that is probably why there are so many inconsistencies and why it is so fragmentary.

We're doing the little lonely flavour. And we're lucky to still be there frankly.

This article is great, mainly because a project group/client first needs to understand which of the 'versions' suites the project in question before a decision can be made on what and how the advantages of BIM can be utilized in that specific project and what can and will be demanded of the individual project members.

For the time being I don't believe that Big Social BIM is best, most effective or even necessary in all project types......

Edited by Vincent C

Vincent,

"This probably depends partly on the fact that the program is/has been developed for several disciplines not only architecture and partly on the fact that there are no architects involved in the actual R&D."

There are many Architects working at NV within the R & D. You can see there names on the many list in this forums. They do not effect the base code but they do effect the direction and implementation of many of the tools. The issue is the Vision for the entire application is and has not been determined by an Architect. The same can be said of all the application offerings and may explain the resistance by many first to CAD and now to BIM. Of course Architects come in many flavors, just look at that which gets built around the world.