Plant tags

J. Wallace

So I watched this wonderful video from the VW Service select website. The video(Building your Planting Plan in Vectorworks Landmark for vw 2012) described adding some personal graphical touches to the plant symbols and tags. Once you have made your library and custom tag settings it is easy (in 2012) to use them.

Jump forward to 2013 and the plant placement tool has changed a bit. When I go to my resource browser - favorite file which contains the custom plant symbols (ie Acer griseum) I am able to place the plants but the custom tag settings are gone, these settings were part of the custom symbol created in another file I call Woody plants.vxw. It looks like I have to turn on each plant tag via the OIP and customize it.... Hopefully I'm way off base and someone can point me in the right direction. The plant definition box in 2013 does not have any tag options???

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that Jonathan. I do realize tag option is found in the plant settings dialog box.

When you save or create a custom plant symbol along with its tag options I would have hoped that whenever I used this my work these settings would carry into a new drawing. The plant symbols are visible in my resource browser (ie Acer griseum) but the tag options that were selected in the original file/library do not appear when placed in a new drawing.

I would like to build a plant library with tags that are always visible based on the options selected.

I hope that makes sense?

I believe you could do this in 2012

It seems odd that I can assign certain things to a 'new' or custom plant symbol but the tags need to be assigned each time I use this plant?

Based on the video I watched ((Building your Planting Plan in Vectorworks Landmark for vw 2012) you could apply tag options which be effective each time you used the plant when using VW Landmark 2012.

Anyone aware of how to set a default tag setting for all or some plant symbols?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Jonathan is right - most of the plant graphic preferences (tag, center marker, render, polygon display) are now stored in the Plant Tool Preferences, rather than with the plant itself (on the Resource Browser). This makes the plant tool a LOT more flexible.

To get a default tag set up, open your favourite drawing template and click the Plant tool then the Plant tool Preferences. Set the Tag options (and any other display preferences), and click OK. Now, save your template (File > Save As Template). The settings are stored with your favourite template forever.

I wrote a blog post about the Plant tool migration - you can read it here:

http://www.vectorworks-training.co.uk/blog/plant-tool-migration-in-vectorworks-2013/

Hope it helps...