How to make openings in walls?

Brooklyn

I'm just beginning to use the VW 2013 Wall Tools to model a rather complex small building.

Question: How does one make an opening in a wall while maintaining the wall characteristics? . . . for a window, door or just an unfilled opening?

Can you point me to a video or stop-by-step instruction? Does this work on walls make up of several layers of construction or components?

Many thanks.

Hi, If I answer it is rather like the blind leading the blind, but I keep asking enough of my own questions so perhaps I have learnt enough to help others out.

I have found this blog really useful for learning. Being an architect that used to teach CAD the guy explains it in layman terms. If you start at the beginning of the series it will help build your knowledge in easy chunks. Personally I prefer to see it written down than seeing a video, with the video you miss a lot of the keyboard shortcuts that take place.

http://archdraftingvectorworks.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/adding-doors-of-various-kinds.html

Edward, it's pretty basic to VW's: first draw some Walls. Then, from the Building Shell toolkit select either the Window or Door Tool. Hold the mouse/cursor over the Wall and double click to insert. The first time you use the Window or Door tool you will see the Preferences Dialog, which allows you to set all of the parameters of the objects. Thereafter you can click on Settings in the Object Info Palette to change these parameters...

Single click on a Window or Door, go to the Object Info Palette, go the Configuration Pulldown and select either Opening or Cased Opening.

Just a minor note that the "Configuration" pulldown is specific to Doors; for windows, "Opening" and "Cased Opening" appear in the "Sash Operation" pulldown.

Edited by pgym
  • 10 months later...

That's good news! Sometimes (but not always) I find when something in VW's is not working as expected, changing the Setting and then changing it back can 'force' it to work? Always, I find that whenever I am in a hurry, needing to get something specific done quickly, VW's will fail in one way or another. But all software does that. It's like when we 'talk' to our cars: "come on baby, you can do it", etc? Not sure why, but it seems that the machines we have created are more like us than we know.

I know this has been asked before but I can't find the correct threads, when rendering the (Un)Cased Opening there are lines visible, how do I get rid of them?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10123&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202014-01-08%20kl.%2014.17.02.png

I have the same issue, for a few versions of VW's.

The only way I have found to be successful is to put them on a class and turn them off. (Door/Win-Opening)

For what ever reason the lines always show up on my renderings with the door configuration set to opening. To have the caps on in plan make sure you choose "Full break with Caps" on the door setting. Here is a image to explain better.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10135&filename=Doors.jpg

Edited by John Meunier
  • 1 year later...

I do not understand why lines continue to render when selecting "Door - Configuration - Opening" even though all graphic and rendering attributes including those associated with a class have zero line weights and no fills.

The only "work around" i've been able to devise is selecting "Door - Configuration - Case Opening" and the setting "Jamb - Width" to 0"

Would appreciate if anyone has a more efficient way for lines not to render on simple door and window openings.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I do not understand why lines continue to render when selecting "Door - Configuration - Opening" even though all graphic and rendering attributes including those associated with a class have zero line weights and no fills.

The only "work around" i've been able to devise is selecting "Door - Configuration - Case Opening" and the setting "Jamb - Width" to 0"

Would appreciate if anyone has a more efficient way for lines not to render on simple door and window openings.

Are you in Top/Plan view (not just Top) with the Ceiling-Main class turned off?

I'm in "Left Isometric."

Yes, I am familiar with "Top" vs "Top/Plan" and making the Ceiling - Main class invisible to remove over-head lines when in top/plan view.

In order to maintain internal consistency and avoid unwanted line rendering, another workaround is to select "Case Opening" with 0" jamb and then re-selecting "opening". The 0" jamb width seams to persist even though jamb width in an "opening" is not irrelevant.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

My problem was that I somehow was not inserting the door into a wall. What complicated things is that I have foolishly placed a line as a reference for the location of the opening since no other reference or inference point existing. When the mouse got close to the reference point (duh, I was clicking on it to set the point at which I wanted the door opening) but oh no can't do that. You have to set it then move it...I got it figured out!