Design Layer Viewport Visibility

AndyM

I'm running into a problem with design layer viewports that I hope has a better solution.

I have a file that is referencing several layers from another person's drawing, once I do what I need to do, I create viewports on sheet layers showing both my work and the referenced work. The problem is when I need to change the class and layer visibility of the design layer viewport. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that in sheet view and I need to show that reference a dozen different ways.

Is there a way to do this without just making tons of duplicates?

Hi there...

Yes there is a way!

Select the DL Viewport (Reference), and click 'Classes' in the OIP.

You will need to import the Classes you wish to have control over, and 'Use Document Class Definition' instead of 'Viewport-Specific Class Definition' for the said classes. This can be done by toggling the small icons in the 'Source' column, till it looks like a VW document, instead of a viewport.

You may have to answer some dialogs in the affirmative in order to continue correctly. Once this is done, you should have control over the visibilities of the classes as you wished.

Hope this helps!

Hmm... Thanks for the reply but I don't think this does what I need it to. Its mostly referenced layers that I need to turn on and off in different views.

I have a file that is referencing several layers from another person's drawing, once I do what I need to do, I create viewports on sheet layers showing both my work and the referenced work. The problem is when I need to change the layer visibility of the reference on different sheets - the only place I can change that is the oip on the DL viewport.

If I could just put these viewports on sheetlayers I'd be golden but you can't do that. I think I may need to just reference these layers the old way.

I'm also astonished at the deliberately confusing names for these things. We have 2 different kinds of layers that do completely different things and 2 different kinds of viewports that do completely different things could they not come up with different names? Every time I try and explain this to someone I get a blank stare because they all have variations of the same confusing name. Sheet layers should just be called sheets or pages (since thats what they are). Design layer viewports should just be called external views or referenced views.

The old method of file referencing gives you the control you need. I really wish that there was the kind of secondary control of DLVP class & layer visiblities through the Viewport OIP.

so

Organization>Settings>Layer Import

this basically imports the referenced file's layers & classes into your current document. You can see them listed in the Organization in italics, and they will give you the control you need in Sheet Layer Viewports

• 3 weeks later...

Reference the external file layers in separate viewports in separate DL layers. Then you can create Sheet Layer viewports that selectively show any combination of layers from the external files, and manipulate class visibility and graphic overrides layer per layer. Duplicate viewports in DLs in order to show the same external layer differently in different Sheet Layer viewports. Not too difficult or time consuming to do.

Once you set up one reference viewport in a Design Layer, duplicate the layer and change the layers visible in the new viewport, etc. Name layers in such a way as to track the content.

Edited by P Retondo

That's a good idea and I will start doing that. However, it doesn't help if you want to turn off one or two classes within a layer. You would have to reference the same layer several times with various classes visible in each instance of that same layer.

For my situation, this might actually work because there are only a few variations of each layer that I need.

But for a big project you might need many different copies of a layer, each with its own class visiblities selected.

That's a good idea and I will start doing that. However, it doesn't help if you want to turn off one or two classes within a layer. You would have to reference the same layer several times with various classes visible in each instance of that same layer.

For my situation, this might actually work because there are only a few variations of each layer that I need.

But for a big project you might need many different copies of a layer, each with its own class visiblities selected.

That's the reason why I once wished here for being able to set the class overrides of DLVP through SLVP. Now you need to have a DLVP for each group of overrides you need. And it's really time consuming!

• 3 years later...

Is there any news to this? As this seems to still be the case in VW 2016.

If we were to use the layer referencing (instead of layer viewport referencing) for our sheet files only, are there any obvious drawbacks that we might incur? As there seems to be a clear benefits in terms of time gained by being able to alter classes directly from sheet files, and having the possibility of having different class settings for individual sheet viewports.

We are working on quite a large project, with five point buildings (in separate files) and two podiums across some of them, all currently being referenced by layer viewport reference, which leads to a lot of duplicates of layer sheets with various numbers of duplicated viewports, so to be able to have different classes etc turned on/off.

Someone mentioned that the drawback with layer referencing might be that the orientation of the building (in real world coordinates) might be an issue, as the drawings we are working on is a BIM model? Can someone clarify this please. 

many thanks,

kind regards 

• 4 years later...

if anyone is still wondering about this...

what you need to do is click the reference and in the Object Info pallet you need to click "classes" 

once classes is clicked there will be a box toward the bottom labeled "Use Current Document's Classes Vissibilities" 

check that box and press ok

once that is done you will be able to change the visibility of certain classes from the reference in the viewports you set up for it (for examply i have a site plan with a property line class & 3d site model class.. i have 2 sheets.. one for a site plan and another for a grading plan... i can now have the propertyline only show up in the site plan & have the 3d site model show up only in the grading plan.. while only having the one reference for both)