Best PC hardware config for VW9.5?

We are using Windows XP Professional with an Dell 8200 1900Mhz Athlon Processor, 512MB RAM and a Geforce Ti200 64Mb Graphics Card.

We hardly ever crash anymore (as we did with Windows 98SE), and renderings fly by. You can now get 128Mb Geforces and obviously much faster processors, but the key is as much RAM as possible and a good graphics card.

Stuart GrayFAW Architects

Northampton, England

I am running the demo version on a 1.4g Pentium, with 640meg of RAM, an ATI Radion Video Card with 64 meg. However, there is no sign that VectorWorks is taking any advantage of the video card. I tried the dynamic rotate command on the same model in AutoCAD vs. Vectorworks. It is Realtime and hidden view in AutoCAD, but VERY sluggish in Vectorworks. Don't plan on complex 3-D stuff in Vectorworks if that is typical.

So, the question is if the results would be any differnt on an equivalent MAC or perhaps that the demo is limited in its display ability. There are other limitations in the DEMO (in the import abilities) which are not described in the documentation... not exactly a good idea because people are using the demo version for evaluation purposes. The accept limitations, but undocumented limitations to the demo are properly assumed to be limitations on the full version.

Joe Dunfee

Just upgraded my 64MB GeForce2MX card to a 128MB GeForce 4 Ti. Significant improvement in realtime walkthrough tool. A model that was displaying very jerky and unresponsive movement is now acceptably smooth. (This is using VW 8.5 - VW 9.5 walkthrough tool is broken!)

I recommend the rest of my system specs: WinXP, P4 2.2G (Dell 8200), 512 MB RAM (more is better!). This was a reasonably-priced machine. It was cheaper to buy the best deal on a Ge4 instead of paying Dell's upgrade price.

Beware comparing an ACAD 3D model to its performance in VW. If you import ACAD 3D objects, they come into VW as a mesh or set of 3D polygons, resulting in very slow processing. Native 3D objects in VW are much faster.

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: P Retondo ]