Roof tool

bugman

Ok, so have been wasting several hours trying to get the all singing and dancing roof tool to function properly.

The only combination I can use to get the roof and eaves at the correct height involves having the vertical mitre cut set at 0mm in the first dialogue box 1. This gives me the correct height of the roof and eaves but calculates a roof with too great an overhang.

On elevation whilst the roof is of the correct height for bearing and eaves the eaves does not have a vertical mitre cut on the rafters for the fascia board as a result of the overhang being calculated too great.

Whilst in elevation I can see the roof at the correct levels and then when I introduce the vertical height of the mitre via the object info pallete rather than leave the eaves height fixed at the correct levels the programme retains the oversized overhang and lowers the eaves height to accommodate the fascia.

Before someone shouts have I entered the correct heights for the layer and the bearing and eaves, the answer is yes and I have tried a combination of different heights. Why should introducing a vertical cut to the mitre change a dimension of eaves height that I have entered into the system?

Hi, just thought this thing through and typing up the above rant helped me focus my thoughts. If adding a vertical mitre cut of say 150mm drops the eaves line by the same amount of 150mm, adding the same height of vertical mitre cut to the eaves height will give me the correct roof which it does.

Is this what you guys do when you are using the tool?

OK so I got there, but where does it tell you when using the programme or in any users guide or help button that if you want a vertical mitre cut you need to add that height (of the mitre) to the eaves height? Why can't the programme simply do the maths automatically. It would have saved a new user a couple of hours of wasted time.

Bugman, I have never had these problems with the Roof Tool. Try this: in a new file draw four walls, in an rectangular shape, 8ft in height. Then draw a rectangle which exactly covers the walls. Select the rectangle and go to AEC>Create Roof. Set the eaves to vertical, thickness to 6" (or whatever) bearing height to 8' and bearing inset to match the thickness of the walls. The pitch is irrelevant for this example. Click OK and then check in front view. Is this what you're after? Or is something else going on?

Hi, You have simply described how to form a roof. I have done all of that. Making an arbitary roof is no help to me, as I don't know how big the overhang should be or the eaves height. When I know specifically the eaves height, roof pitch and bearing height I end up with different heights of roof when I either have a vertical cut or not.

Adding a vertical cut to the rafters adds that height to the overall height of the roof. It extends the soffit down thus lowering the eaves height rather than pushing the overhang in.

Bugman, That's the first time I got that you were also using the Roof to create Soffits and other 'features'. I rarely use those functions (can't remember why, but probably because it was somehow buggy). Also, you say you don't know how big the overhang should be?? Or the eaves height?? I'm confused as to exactly what you trying to achieve, and also about your expectations of the software. I never expect software to make my design decisions for me. I decide then tell the software what to do... If you could post some images that might be helpful.

Hi, I will try and post some images tomorrow but as I'm not near my workstation right now I will try and explain the problem more clearly.

I was creating a roof using the roof tool, I know the angle/pitch, eaves height, bearing height and shape of the ends of the rafters with a vertical cut and fascia.

When I punch the data into the appropriate boxes using the tool the roof is formed with the eaves height of the soffit too low. I have performed the task numerous times.

However, when I omit to enter the data for the vertical cut at the eaves and enter 0mm for the vertical eaves cut the roof is formed at the correct height, however the eaves shape is wrong as it simply has the horizontal undercut to the ends of the rafters and the overhang is too large. To add the vertical mitre cut to the ends of the rafters I can simply enter the dimension in the object info pallete. However doing this does not add a vertical cut to the length of rafter at eaves that has been designed which would inturn would reduce the overhang to the correct distance. Instead the rafter length becomes extended down to add a vertical downward cut resulting in a roof with larger overhang and a lower soffit. In effect adding the vertical mitre cut to the eaves overrides the info that I have already entered relating to soffit height.

The way I have overcome this is to add the height of the vertical mitre cut to the soffit height at the time of forming the roof.

I don't think my expectations of the software are too great, but my expections of it are waning every time I use it.