Applying textures to surfaces of a 3-D solid . . . ?

Brooklyn

I am building a 3-D model of a building in VW 2013. I have generated a texture shader that represents board-marked concrete, the material of the exterior faces of the structure.

Can I use a shader from regular smooth concrete (no board marking) for other faces of the prismatic (non-curved) structure, such as interior columns, tops and inside of parapets, jambs and sills of openings, etc? Or do I need to generate a very thin 3-D layer of of board marked concrete to add to the exterior of the building as a 'skin'?

Thanks in advance for any help on this rather complex project.

You should be able to use the plain concrete where desired as long as you are deliberate in your choice of which specific object types you use for those items. For example, Walls and Floors can have different Textures applied to different sides/surfaces (via the Render Tab in the OIP). For me to be more specific I would need to see more details.

Edward, there is no easy way (that I'm aware of) to convert generic 3d geometry into walls, floors, etc. You don't 'designate' them, you create them by using the tools that are built into the software. I would recommend studying some of the basic tutorials that are available...

Again, I think what you ask might still be possible but I would need more info to assist further. If you are willing to post your VW's file here I (and probably others) would take a look and let you know if there are suggestions which might help...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you have some extrudes, you can use AEC > Space Planning > Model to Floorplan to convert the extrudes to Walls... But I don't think you can convert to slabs.

However, you could use the Extract tool to extract 2D Planar objects from the surface of your "slab" and then use AEC > Create Objects from Shapes to convert them into Slabs, walls, and a multitude of other things.

Hope that helps