Lock Symbols

ChadL

Is there a way to lock a symbol from being copied. Sometimes I do drawings that after I am complete the client requests that I send them the VW file. I have spent hours making all the symbols I use in my library. I have also bought some. I have no problem with someone else being able to use that symbol in the drawing I send them, but I don't want them to be able to put that in their library for future use.

Like Pat says, you can do some stuff, but they can Always make a new symbol out of it.

My clients simply need to pay more for the VW file because of this. If they only want a pdf file, then it's less.

Also, remember to purge your drawing from unused symbols so they can only use the ones you used for their design.

Edited by DWorks

This is a reasonable wish list item. It is a "feature" already present in Vectorworks called Fingerprinting. It is in place to prevent capabilities of one module (eg Architect) being implemented in another module (eg Fundamentals or Landmark) when objects with the capability are copied or imported between modules.

The watermarking of Education version files is another type of protection already in place.

I imagine that a user controlled version of fingerprinting and/or watermarking could be added to Vectorworks licenses so users could protect their creations.

Making Vectorworks Viewer more robust so that it is widely used could address some of this, too.

-B

You could also use a plug-in that just holds a symbol in it. I know they can also create a symbol out of it, but it's just a little bit harder...

But I do agree with the posts above that we need some feature to let our own library resources only be used by those we choose. VW can check on Donglenumber (last 6 digits.)

Edited by DWorks

Yes I agree too, there needs to be a way to protect our creations. Most of the suggestions are good, but don't really stop somebody from using the object. I would go a step further and want to not only protect our symbols, but have a way to lock out the drawing so it can't be edited.

I am going to start a thread on the wish list forum for this.

DWorks said:

My clients simply need to pay more for the VW file because of this.

This is interesting: do your clients/collaborators actually pay you to use your drawing as a base for theirs? I would love to be able to charge, after all, why should we do all the work, save everyone else money, and get nothing for it? However I have never come across an architect with the chutzpah to demand payment.

What is other people's experience?

Edited by Decoyman
DWorks said:

My clients simply need to pay more for the VW file because of this.

This is interesting: do your clients/collaborators actually pay you to use your drawing as a base for theirs? I would love to be able to charge, after all, why should we do all the work, save everyone else money, and get nothing for it? However I have never come across an architect with the chutzpah to demand payment.

What is other people's experience?

Well, my clients know my rates before I work for them. If they don't need the actual drawing, then they just pay for pdf files. If they need the actual file because they will work further on it or for other reasons, they will pay more for it. They have the choice. They also can start with pdf files, and when they need the drawings, they can pay the difference. I find this a normal way of working, because when you give the actual drawing, they can use all of your library items in the drawing that you spend a lot of work on. As long as they know this beforehand, there can't be a problem afterwards...