Dormers in roof slope face

bugman

Hi,I am working on my first project and am in the process of creating an existing house that is going to be remodelled. The roof shape is non standard with one slope running from the main roof down to the ground floor. In the UK we call this type of roof a catslide roof. To create the roof I ungrouped the roof object then added the rectangular surface to the front roof slope to create the catslide. I now need to add a flat roof dormer that exists on the front of the house (see red outline for position) but find that the dormer tool does not work on this surface.

Firstly was there a better way to create the roof shape and how best am I now to model the dormer?

Edited by bugman

Thanks for that tip, it sounds that I would have much greater control with that approach.

I have one last question about my model, I need to create a bay or bow window curved on plan window in the opening below the dormer. This window comprises of 5 flat windows each positioned at different angles around the curve of the bay. The bay does not extend to the floor with walls so that you can walk into it, the feature is simple within the window opening. The window has a little flat roof over curved to match the plan shape of the window.

Any tips or advice on how best to produce the bay window will be appreciated.

If I correctly understand it, here's how I would do it. First create opening using the Window Tool. Then create a Round Wall (or a series of angled walls) for the Bow (or the Bay). This/these wall/s will be up off the floor and down fro the ceiling, and in front view will line up exactly with the opening in the original wall. Then insert windows into the window wall/s. You will probably need a bottom on the thing. Use a Floor. And also, does this bay/bow have its own roof(ish) cover? You'll need to model that too. Then I would generally Group all of the elements that comprise the bay/bow. You can also make them (or make the Group) into a Symbol if you want... Hope that helps.