"Unable to create graphics importer for the file.Quicktime may not have an

I am getting this error on osx 10.8.2 when I try to import a file to make anew texture

"Unable to create graphics importer for the file.Quicktime may not have an importer installed or is low on memory .Please reinstall quicktime"

I did a clean install of osx and vw. I have tried other image files. I installed QuickTime 7

I have tried making a texture with only a new document open.

I wrote the vw support but no response yet.

It's a new imac i7 32 gb ram , I have had some unexplained crashes with this machine, but has been stable since the reinstall. I ran apple hardware test and everything passed.

any comments appreciated

Edited by steve s

Maybe the file you are trying to import is a .mov or other QT file (even if it has the jpg extension). Can you make image textures with files you know are jpg or png? Or do those file types also result in errors? Or maybe open that troubled image in Preview or QT and take a screen shot to be sure you have a compatible file for the image shaders.

I think you already know this, but just in case:

For textures with image shaders, the image file needs to be imported via the Resource Browser>New Resource in file>Image. Then you can choose the image resource when you make an image shader during texture creation/edit.

-B

I exported the file in tiff and png formats and tried again and it would not work, I tried another file that is jpg, and it would not work, but I was able to use another png file that worked, it seems to work ok with very small files.

But the file in question is not all that big and Jonathan was able to make a texture on his computer with this file, and yes I was using the resource browser.

I think it's a problem with my computer but I have reinstalled the os from scratch reinstalled vw and it's a new imac i7.

I am suspecting the graphics card as all problems I have had could be related to the graphics card.

Might have to send the comp into apple....

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I never found a cure for this, other than making a new smaller file to import. Another user was able to use the original file on another computer (see above).

I also had many problems with VW crashing most of those were because VW has a limit of memory it can use. When VW's memory usage -viewed in Activity Monitor-reaches 2gb or so it will crash -regardless of how much Ram is available to your system-, restarting VW fixes this. I was able to replicate this many times and this was confirmed by tech support, hopefully this is fixed in the new update though it was not listed that I could see.

• 5 years later...