Wacom Intuos Graphics Tablets

Hello,

Are there any VW users using Wacom Intuos graphics tablets as their input device in place of a mouse?

If so I would like to know what size tablet you are using, if the quickpick buttons on the tablet help you, if you would recommend my purchasing of a tablet and any tips and advice you have.

Thanks.

Greg Persinger

I tried to use the 12x9 inch Intuos for a little while with some success.

However, VectorWorks is not a pressure sensitive application so I just found myself using the mouse features of the tablet instead.

I did find it extremely useful for converting paper drawings to CAD drawings. The ability to fit a whole 8.5x11 page on the drawing surface is so useful.

Eventually, I just got rid of the tablet and got a nice wireless optical mouse from Logitech...

(Just a personal opinion)Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Matthew,

Thank you for your opinion.

I have heard many people say that the pen is easier on your wrist than the mouse. Also the wacom pad is more accurate than the standard mouse.

Did you find this to be true?

Maybe I need to look into a better mouse.

Thanks.

Greg Persinger

I use a 6"x9" pad all the time, but primarily in Photoshop where non-linear and is the norm and pin-point accuracy is usually not required.

For cadd, I use the a Kensington TurboMouse (has the ball on top and 4 programmable keys, Macintosh) because it is much easier to move the cursor to exactly the point on the screen I want and the keys are a great replacement for keyboard shortcuts (delete, join, undo, trim, are just a few).

I think the apple optical mouse is a pretty good unit. I used to use a Wacom ArtPadII (4x5) until I wore it out. Recently I picked up a Graphire (Wacom), the 4x5 size. I'm much more productive with this than a mouse. I feel greater control with less effort and motion. I even use it with dual monitors. I also use Photoshop, where the pressure sensitivity is very useful. But for everyday general interaction with the screen, the little pad is a wonder. Not everybody likes them, there is a matter of individual preference here. (Some people love trackballs, but I'm all thumbs with them). A last word, I don't find the additional theoretical capabilities of the higher end Wacom Intuos line to be necessary at all.

Donald

We use the new small tablet (approx. 8" square), with Powerbooks. I have never gotten used to useing the finger pad on the powerbook, find it cramped, and so use the tablet. If you are mouse bound, it will take some time getting used to, but I think its worth it. I use the click toggle on the stylus as a double click shortcut, and textural screen menus work fine. I haven't used it for tracing yet, but for drafting and freehand stuff it great. I also haven't gotten any stiffness in the wrist with it...

The lack of pressure sensitivity is disconcerting in VW8.5.x (I assume by the comments that this hasn't been and may never be remedied).

I do use the Wacom Graphire 4x5 which has both pen and mouse. It is my primary pointing device since the ADB trackball died. I like the pen in Photoshop and use either one in VW. The control is nice in VW.

I have an issue with the Graphire2 though, when used through a USB Hub. According to the fine folks at Wacom, a Keyspan hub is the only one that keeps the pointer from jiggling when the mouse or pen touches the pad. I can definitely confirm this problem, and that it doesn't happen when the pad is not plugged in to a hub. Are there any others who're finding with this problem?

My system: G3 (B&W) 400MHz / 700MB RAM, with a USB Hub (Enterex), Graphire2 pad 4.7.3a software, Airport hub. frown.gif" border="0

GregP-The Wacom Tablet is God's Own Tool. I use a 12x12 Intuos USB on Mac 9.1 G4/450DP, and I cannot imagine working without it. Not only does it Just Work, the arm and shoulder pain that plagued my mouse arm has practically vanished. The tool buttons across the top are handy, too.

That said, I don't use the tablet much for VW or fZ. For that stuff, I tend to use the trackball more. Mostly I use it for PSD and AI. I wouldn't mind trying a 9x12-the 12x12 borders on too large for me. Bear in mind that the Intuos has the capability to recognize multiple tools (pens, airbrush, mouse) and self reconfigure for each tool. It can also accept input from 2 tools simultaneously.

I just wish that Wacom sent me money for every hosanna of praise that I have heaped on this product. There must be something wrong with them, but I haven't found it.

hth.

hmseiden-I have not seen the jiggling pointer anomoly in my Intuos. It is connected through a hub in the base of my Viewsonic P815. I don't know if the hub is powered or not.Out of curiousity, what application for pressure sensitivity would you have in VW?

GregP-The Wacom Tablet is God's Own Tool. I use a 12x12 Intuos USB on Mac 9.1 G4/450DP, and I cannot imagine working without it. Not only does it Just Work, the arm and shoulder pain that plagued my mouse arm has practically vanished. The tool buttons across the top are handy, too.

That said, I don't use the tablet much for VW or fZ. For that stuff, I tend to use the trackball more. Mostly I use it for PSD and AI. I wouldn't mind trying a 9x12-the 12x12 borders on too large for me. Bear in mind that the Intuos has the capability to recognize multiple tools (pens, airbrush, mouse) and self reconfigure for each tool. It can also accept input from 2 tools simultaneously.

I just wish that Wacom sent me money for every hosanna of praise that I have heaped on this product. There must be something wrong with them, but I haven't found it.

hth.

hmseiden-I have not seen the jiggling pointer anomoly in my Intuos. It is connected through a hub in the base of my Viewsonic P815. I don't know if the hub is powered or not.Out of curiousity, what application for pressure sensitivity would you have in VW?