Importing transparent background image

Hi!

I have this issue that I would like to import and apply a pattern picture that I have created on Adobe Illustrator to Vectowroks and apply it on my windows. So, I tried to make the background of the pattern transparent and then importing it as a image and as a texture to Vectorworks but it seems not to work. I saved my file in Illustrator as for Web and chose the background to be transparent and then when trying to import it it did not work. Also tried to import the image and make the background transparent on Vectorworks. Do You have any suggestions or ways I could do it so I would have it on the windows as a sticker and have it when I render..

Here is the pattern, the window is usual window, measurements 2meters x 1,6 meters.

Could use this pattern as a example .. So the white background to be transparent i.e see-through.. and the pattern on the wall.

OK, I looked agiain and saw the image in your other post. That video in Kevin's post has good info, but speaks to a lot of other issues, so gets complex.

You need Three things:

1. The image prepared for tiling.

2. The image imported via the Resource Browser as an Image Resource.

3. A new Texture Resource with Object Attribute Color Shader and Image Mask Shader created via the Resource Browser. The background (white) displays transparent, the graphics (black) display with color you choose in the attributes palette when the object is selected. Note: OpenGL does not deal well with several textured objects having different colors.

If you are planning to use this with window objects, I suggest you create a new, properly sized 3d polygon placed in front of each window instead of trying to apply this new texture to the glazing in the windows. The glass panes in the window objects may rotate the texture. And you may want the glass texture they come with in addition to your new texture.

Here are examples including image, texture settings. Good Luck!

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8633&filename=ErmineImage.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8634&filename=TxtrSettings.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8635&filename=ErmineTransparent.png

So I tried to put this pattern on my window and the computer goes mad with this. The picture shown on the Create Transparent Colour Mask is gone wild, some stripes and a white background. Is this because of the size of the image, 1.8 MB when made smaller with photoshop. Thank you!

It works for me. In my previously posted sample file Resource Browser, I imported your new image and duplicated Texture 1 to create Texture 2. I edited Texture 2 and changed the image to your roses image. No problem on my machine. I do not think this is image file size related.

Things to try - It sounds more like a Scale issue or maybe Object or Mapping Type. In the texture creation dialog adjust the Size field in lower left, maybe multiply by 10? And also be sure the map type is Plane in the render tab of the OIP for any window to which you applied the texture.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8638&filename=Txtr2-Roses.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8639&filename=TxtrDialogBox.png

Hi!

So I did it and the end result is here!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cMZH5zvgjJc/UR2kBiO4xeI/AAAAAAAAAFY/cQUp8m16oH0/s1600/yesyes.jpg

Which actually brings me to another question. You see I have spotlights but You cannot see the light being actually in the ceiling as they would be in real life, so, what would be the most convenient way to make spotlight imitating light "squares" which would be seen when rendering..

Great!

One way to indicate light sources is to draw a 3d object (eg extrude or 3d poly or NURBS Surface) in shape of emitting surface and place it in front of the light obbject (eg a circle in front of a spotlight or a rectangle just below a grid ceiling panel fixture). Give it a texture with Glow setting in the Reflectivity Shader and adjust the glow % in edit pane. Disable cast and receive shadows.

Good luck!

-B