Layer Elevations - Referenced to other layers

Taproot

Question

Wow - I just tried to use the story function. I gave it a solid try and finally buckled. It's too difficult to integrate into existing methods and workflows.

That said, what it is trying to address is vitally important. I would REALLY like to have a way of automating layer elevations.

When I draw, I think in relative heights: The floor framing is relative to the subfloor, the mudsill is relative to the floor framing, the stemwall is relative to the mudsill, etc.

If Vectorworks could do this as well, I would be really happy.

--

To do this, add an option in the Layers so that they can be either set to a fixed elevation or relative (referenced) to the elevation of another layer.

In the event that a (referenced from) layer was deleted a dialogue box would pop up asking if you would like to re-assign referencing to a new layer or assign it to a fixed elevation. i.e. it's existing elevation as a default.

Consider a simple UI too - like having a "linked" layer column in the Navigation Pallet. So when you select a layer it indicates which layer it is referenced from and a simple control-click let's you adjust the elevation offset.

Thanks

1 answer to this question