Extruded object interaction with layer plane object

VWLP

I am trying to create a 3D model where an extruded shape sits on top of a flat surface. The flat surface does not have a thickness and is a rectangle on the layer plane. The bottom of the extruded shape and the flat surface are both located at zero on the z axis. However, there seems to be a glitch when using the hidden line render option. The rectangle in layer plane seems to move up and down along the z axis when selecting the hidden render view. The extruded shape should sit directly on top of the flat rectangle without an overlap. It seems to go away when choosing hidden line mode multiple times in a row.

Attached is a Vectorworks file showing the problem that occurs. You have to zoom into the intersection of the objects in isometric and elevation view to see the issue.

Does this sound like a glitch, or is there a setting I could change to solve the issue?

Hi Mike, thank you for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that this is not an option, because this has caused lines to overlap improperly. It has to do with multiple colors being involved in the model and showing through in the wrong order. I originally started along that path and realized I had to create a flat shape on the layer plane, which should not have been a problem. If everything is at the same z axis level it does not make sense that Vectorworks would show them at different levels in various render modes.

The line weight difference does not seem to be part of the problem. I'm attaching another version where the line weight for both objects is the same as a test. I have turned the zoom line thickness on and off, yet the 2 shapes do not appear level on the z axis. When I verify their properties, both items still show up at 0 on the z axis.

Looking at the 2nd file with pref for Zoom Line Thickness disabled.

This is buglike.

View the symbol in Right Iso. Fit to object. Render in HL.

The intersection btw extrude and rectangle looks fat (it's dbl lines).

Zoom to about 30K% to see the dbl lines.

Render HL again and the dbl lines become single.

Stay in HL and zoom out. Lines stay single.

Render again to get the dbl lines.

Zoom in repeatedly at 2500% increments. and rerender HL each time.

The dbl lines reappear after each zoom&render until zoom gets to about 60K%. After that, the lines stay single with each rerender. Screen resolution might make a difference.

The workaround in each situation seems to be: Render again!

So there is some connection to zoom activity or view change (flyover, etc). Is this possibly a graphics card limitation? Too much zoom for my poor little integrated card? VWLP shows a MacPro - probably a better graphics card. Or is HL all CPU?

Convert the rectangle to a 3d poly and the problem goes away. No dbl lines at any zoom.

-B

Lindsay, on my computer when you change from a HLR rendered isometric view to a HLR rendered elevation view there does seem to be a problem of 0.001" magnitude. This can only be seen if you zoom in really close but if you force a render by drawing a line it then shows correctly.

If you Convert the Rectangle to a 3D polygon it doesn't happen.