How to avoid issuing drawings with objects accidentally moved

Christiaan

I DON'T draw in Layers with Show/Snap/Modify Others as the active setting. In that setting it's easy to reach in and grab something from a layer three of four layers deep and move it. I draw only on Show/Snap Others.

Yeah me too, up till now, however with the need to create slabs, spaces etc. using (the paint bucket tool and) elements in other layers I have found it necessary to actually change to using Show/Snap/Modify Others.......

Edited by Vincent C
I DON'T draw in Layers with Show/Snap/Modify Others as the active setting. In that setting it's easy to reach in and grab something from a layer three of four layers deep and move it. I draw only on Show/Snap Others.

Yeah me too, up till now, however with the need to create slabs, spaces etc. using (the paint bucket tool and) elements in other layers I have found it necessary to actually change to using Show/Snap/Modify Others.......

The tip is to only change it to modify other when bounding slabs etc... All other times you can not use it!

The tip is to only change it to modify other when bounding slabs etc... All other times you can not use it!

Yeah I started doing it that way, however laziness and a (false) sense of superior capability in VWs made me change anyway :grin: ....so far so good (I find the white handles on selected objects in other layers clear and helpful in this regard).

(I find the white handles on selected objects in other layers clear and helpful in this regard).

Totally true. Also reminds me that I didn't return the layer visibilities to show/snap others.

EDIT: Maybe we need another some other things? What if we can set show/snap others and being able to bound slabs to walls on the other layers? It's just letting VW now which walls to use, so it's not like we are selecting/moving/modifying them.

Edited by DWorks

it infuriates me when i see people drawing with Show/Snap/Modify Others. I can always tell when this approach has been used when opening someone else's drawing, as the whole thing is a mess, nothing is on the right layer which means figuring out what someone else has done takes a while to edit and put right. When updating plans with new layouts, planting etc its a nightmare.

I always teach people to only use this method when they cannot work out what layer something is on, just to select it, and then move back onto Show/Snap Others. Using Show/Snap/Modify Others continually is now accepted as bad practice in our office.

I guess it depends if layering, organisation and ease of updating are important enough in your workflow to take this approach on all the time.

Actually I realise now why I like to work in Show/Snap/Modify Others.

In 3D. We shouldn't have to change active layers to edit something we can see in 3D.

Another argument for walls that extend up through all levels.

Or perhaps we need VW to automatically switch to Show/Snap/Modify Others when switching to a 3D view and vice versa.

Here is an experiment.

Set Associative Dimensions set Off.

Go to the annotation pane of a top plan floor plan where dimensions have been set to wall corners (end-to-end) OR to a Design Layer where a dimension has be set to a wall, also end-to-end.

Select the dimension line and use the nudge key to move the dimension line away from the wall.

Note the WALL MOVES TOO.

Shorter dimensions along the wall highlighting windows, other walls, etc., can be nudged without creating a movement of the wall.

Note also that I've got another bug happening with this phenomenon such that if I grab the end-to-end dimension line and drag, it flips horizontally to the other side of the wall (!). I started a new drawing with new walls to test and the same nudge problem occurred, including the mirror flip.

Vectorworks Designer 2013, SP2 (latest build)

Mac OS 10.7.5

Edited by Tom G.

I've filed a bug report but I still wonder--does anyone else using v.2013 in the most current build have this same behavior??

For what it's worth, after a rocky upgrade to 2013 with more crashes than expected, the crashes have gone away and so far I've had smooth sailing pretty much except for the above--and this all on an older file that is good-sized, at least for this office.