How do I draw this?

Shawncfer

So I need yall's help. I'm absolutely stumped on this one.

I'm trying to replicate the Torre Agbar in Barcelona Spain. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, I'll upload some photos.

So here are my problems so far. The building, even though it appears circular, is actually an oval shape going up. I have all the exact dimensions of the building and I'm trying to build from that.

Right now I'm using Vectorworks 2013 on a Mac.

I draw the base oval to the dimensions given, and then proceed to draw the profile curve.

Now, I know I don't want to sweep because a sweep will go in a circular motion. So I've been trying to do a Loft Surface command with the profile and rail.

Then, I keep getting error messages. I've realized if I draw the profile to where it doesn't reach all the way center, it will work just fine. So I'm assuming because it's reaching the center axis, and that it's rail is an oval, at some point it's overlapping therefore not letting me do the full thing.

So I can't figure out that part already.

Also, once I get that done, my plan is to do a surface array with a window I build. But then, I want to light it like it is at night. In real life, the windows have LEDs in them that change colors and make it look super awesome. I'm not wanting to make the lights change, just one simple look I can replicate. How should I tackle that?

Any help is awesome! Thanks in advance!

DSCN0163_fhdr_1.jpg

2uyltg8.jpg

Well depends on how detailed/precise and how much time you want to spend on it?!

The fast way is probably using solids and meshes (traditional 3D modeling tools).

In this case I would go for a Sweep, i.e. draw the building shape (vertical cut) of half the building and sweep 360?, repeat with a slightly smaller shape and subtract to get a wall thickness, then create shapes for the window holes and subtract these......

The slow way but more precise and flexible way is to use Building Shell objects i.e. walls, slabs, windows, roof faces and construct the whole thing the way it is built: floor by floor.

Edited by Vincent C

Try the Revolve with Rail command in Model>3d Power Pack. Works great for this.

Draw the base oval with 2d Oval, then Convert to NURBS. Center it at 0,0 on xy plane

Switch to Front View. Draw an axis with NURBS Curve tool straight up from center of oval to final Z height

Stay in Front view and draw the profile curve - I like the 2d Polylinw in Spline mode then Convert to NURBS. Change view to verify that the end points are on the oval and end of axis. It has to be planar, too.

Then Model>3d PowerPack>Revolve with Rail: click in order - Axis, Profile, Rail (oval)

Gives a nice NURBS surface. You can do half oval if that's easier for the window modeling. Or Split tool or Contours (3d tool set) to divide into stories. You could apply your window frames as Array Surface items overall, but they will stretch, so stories are not consistent height.

You can do a Solid Subtraction or Section to divide the shape into areas for different light colors. Or create a texture for the colors and apply Glow transparency. Best to test this on a duplicate layer.

HTH

-B

Here is the Revolve with Rail and Contours overlayed.

2nd image is just the contours with simple Loft Surface btw a couple pairs, and an Array Surface of a 3d Poly. Ungroup the Surface Array to individually color the polys. Could apply glow to them. I deleted the base surface (loft) after ungroup.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8595&filename=RvlvRail&Contours.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8596&filename=Lofts&ArraySurf.png

Edited by Benson Shaw