'Export as Flattened 2D Graphics'

GWS

Question

This option in the DXF dialogue box promised so much but sadly didn't deliver what I'd hoped.

To export for CNC/Laser cutting I do the following:

Extract Tool

> with the options set to - Extract Surface - Extract Planar Objects

Copy & delete (Cut on a Mac) the created Planar

Create a New Layer

Paste the Planar Object

Use the OIP to put the Planar object onto the Screen Plane

Set the View to Top/Plan

After this sequence you can then Export DXF using whatever settings your CNC/Lazer Cutting engineers require.

At present there is an option in the Export DXF Dialogue Box that is 'Export as Flattened 2D Graphics'. Unfortunately this command produces an object that turns all the curves, arcs etc into a series of straight lines (rather than smooth arcs) which produce a faceted Laser/CNC cut object.

Go through the above process many many times and I was excited when 2013 came out with the export option included. I was then disappointed when I discovered that it was actually of no use.

Please could the command be rewritten to produce a smooth, single polyline on export rather than a faceted facimile.

If someone could write a script for this I would happily pay for it.

Ideally I would set the viewing angle to look at a particular face and then export a DXF ask me where to save it (as it does now).

4 answers to this question

Agreed.

And I'd add that the conversion of curves to line segments extends beyond the 'Export as Flattened 2D Graphics' command. For instance, I recently tried to export (DWG) a site grading plan that uses Polylines for contours, and they are all segmented when previewed in a DWG viewer.

If there is a workaround for this, or a setting / option I'm missing, I'd love to hear about it.

Aaron

I recently exported a file with some big washers - nested circles - to ewg v2004. If "Flattened 2d Graphics" is selected, the circles were all converted to polylines. Uncheck the option and the export returned circles.

So this flattened export option seems to have limited use. Not sure when I would want arcs converted to polys.

-B