3D concept building working plane

J. Wallace

Hello

I am part way through a site model thanks to previous help on this forum. I created a concept building using extrudes and the shell solid tool, this way I cut out windows and doors. Initially I had a challenge getting the working plane to shift to automatic in order to work the various sides of the building. That got sorted out and worked out well.

Now our client has requested a few man doors which I'm trying to create using the rectangle tool which I push/pull and subtract. Well the working plane shifts to auto but nothing is selected on the building. No layers or classes changed. I can even go back to an earlier file and get the working plane to shift into auto. I copy paste the older bulding version into my current drawing and the same issue occurs. The working plane is stuck on the ground (it states its in auto mode) and will not allow me to work on the building. Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie, You need to use the Wall Tool, and Roof Creation tools that are already included. There is no reason you have to be solid modeling any of the building components...

The new working planes in 2013 is awful and I am constantly annoyed by it. That said, if you switch to a front view you should be able to draw in that view...

Post back as needed...

What I'm saying is that although VW's a very very good solids modeling tool, and although what you are attempting will work, it will very tedious to make changes as the job proceeds. That's what the Wall tool is for. It allows quick and easy insertion of Doors and Windows and the ability to easily move, change, add/delete these items.

The more I think about it, yes. I would say that you should start over. Drawing a simple four-walled, rectangular bldg will take you minutes with the Wall tool...

jamie,

peter's method will work, but if you need to do 3d mass modeling...

did you import dxf or dwg data into your file? there is a serious bug related ti this that causes things like push/pull and select working plane to not function. vw has been aware of the problem for a while and apparently it is not so easy to fix.

if that's the case, a work around is to do the 3d modeling in a separate clean file, then paste it into you original file with the site model.

cheers,

ray