3D window & door tags: text showing from other side of building?

Anyone else encountering this behavior? Oddly enough, this only happens when printing or exporting to PDF:

I've got 3D window tags turned on, with Hidden Line rendering (the Final Quality RW is happening in a separate VP behind that one, so that I can avoid having the tag text show up as a pixellated mess), and the ID text from the windows on the other side of the building is showing through, in spite of the Hidden Line rendering. (Perhaps VW takes 'hidden line' too literally, hiding only lines in the background but not text?)

Needless to say, as if having to use two separate, stacked viewports wasn't already cumbersome enough, this makes the 3D tags even less useful! Might as well go back to using our own 2D tags manually in the VP Anno (even though we really want 3D tags!). Makes me wish Nemetschek wasn't insisting on a 12-month release cycle and would instead bug-check their releases more thoroughly!

Cheers,

Markus

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Yes, the print to PDF and export to PDF both result in the window & door ID tags showing through from the back side of the building when viewed with Mac Preview. However, now that you mention it, the errant ID tags do disappear when viewed with Adobe Reader. Most significantly, however, they show up when the sheets are printed directly from VW on our HP Designjet T1100ps.

I have found a easy work around for this the other day. It will only work on certain building types though.

Rather than a standard viewport, set it up as a section viewport and define the depth to just past the highest point of the ridge, which is hopefully in the middle of the building, this way the IDs on the opposite wall do not register.

Now whats the chances this will get corrected in v2015?

JIm, with me it looks fine on screen, the issue occurs when you print or PDF

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I can not replicate the problem at all on Windows, I do see it on Mac in PDFs viewed with Preview but not with Adobe Reader or other PDF readers. When printed to an HP LaserJet 5525 from Adobe Reader or Preview here, I don't see the issue either but I don't have any other printers I can test with at the moment.

Get in touch with tech support directly and send the files/explanation to have them take a closer look.

• 1 year later...

Hi there. I have the same problem and after discussion with the sales rep, who communicated with the tech. department, This seems to be a problem only when printing directly from a mac. Further, they instructed me to use the "export PDF" or "Publish" command and use Adobe reader instead of Preview, as they don't "have much control over the pdf generating process"

Maybe it's just me but shouldn't nemetchek take more responsibility for their product compatibility, given they market themselves as a cross-platform software solution...

Daniel

• 5 years later...