Trying to create a roof with 4 dormers

Arbor

Hi,

I am not too good with VW, especially Architect. I am trying to create a roof for a rectangular building that is 33'x31'. The roof needs to be a 6:12 slope, with a dormer on each side that is the full width of it's side. I have tried creating a hip roof, and then adding dormers of the dimensions I want, and can't get it to work out. What is the right way to do this? BTW I am using old-school Vectorworks 12 (not 2012).

I googled and found a picture of what I want:

Four20Gables_001_zpsc22e8c3b.jpg

Thanks,

Arbor

Edited by Arbor

The quickest and easiest way would be to model the individual roof faces.

If it is exactly symmetrical you could also model one gable roof and then clip away the two triangular areas (use Edit Group from the Modify command to do this). Then Copy it, Paste in Place and Rotate Left by 90? to get the other one. It works in Vw 2013 and I have exported it back to Vw 12 and it appears to be okay.

Edited by mike m oz

Use the Wall Tool. Create a new layer for those walls, then you can use Fit To for the bottoms (to the Roof Below, or the Floor as desired) and the tops...

Also, I dont think Mike meant to use Solids, I think he meant to use the Roof Face command. Look for it in the Help.

PS: I am close to you, in Ashland. If you ever need some one on one...