Window Wall Tool

Has anyone found a way to create a storefront window wall that allows for insertion of doors, changing directions(w/ resultant wall joining capabilities), functional in 3D, etc? The workaround has been to create a wall type of just glass and then have to go in and add mullion shapes-you can cut in a door but the mullions are just shapes that can be extruded for 3d but that does not cover horizontal mullions.

Model a Wall (not a Window Wall), give it a Glass Texture, Insert (or create, model & insert) Mullions (or whatever there're called in this context). Then you can insert to your heart's content. And you can get the Mullions spaced exactly as you wish.

Not a perfect solution. It would be better if the Window Wall allowed insertions....

How are architects using the window wall tool and/or glass wall workaround described?

I recently ran into the issue that each mfg of storefront or window wall systems has many different extrusion shapes and sizes, glazing clip systems, gasketing, internal drainage, corner details etc, etc.

The window wall tool/workaround sort of gives an idea of how an elevation might look. But what if you want to make a schedule of opening sizes, or order glazing panels, or adjust for existing (or new) extrusions being out of plumb.

Maybe everyone just does generalized elevations and details, and expects shop drawings from the glazing sub?

Not expecting a fix here. Just curious.

-B

One thing to remember when inputting info in a so called BIM file, Think of how the industry deals with the process and only do what your discipline does and leave the rest to others down stream. Just because you can do it in the box sitting in front of you doesn't mean you should. Spinning your wheels trying to draw something you shouldn't do anyway just wastes time and money.

There is a whole host of industries and people who deal with the "shop drawing" phase and you should respect their contribution to the whole project. Doing so expedites the project, defines responsibilities and makes the final out come better, with a little management there helps too. IMHO

Thanks djb, that's what is implied by the window wall tool, and it makes a lot of sense: the architect produces design which is specific only in some areas. Where generalized, the design defers to input from consultants, general contractor and subs. Seems like problems would arise between design intent and final product. This is all good as long as everyone is willing to work on alts, compromises and revisions throughout DD and construction.

My situation is different in public art. I present the design based on a fixed budget. In my project documents I show actual products and specs, draw/provide specific details and engineering for committee and conservator review and acceptance. Constructability and future maintenance are huge concerns. I sometimes use industry subs but the cost skyrockets (glazing subs are a recent example) so I normally do my own shop drawaings, and provide/install everything with employees or my own subs if needed. I draw asbuilts, and provide future mods when necessary. Generalized details are not very useful for me.

-B