Flying Blind - Export DWG

mmiles

Maybe I am just feeling cranky, but VW seems severely limited when it comes to exporting files to DWG format.

I export my file which has a file referenced to it. I export selected sheet layers and design layers. I open a new file to import the DWG to see what it looks like. The import now has two symbols in it - one the plan file, and one the referenced plan file. Why? How is this helpful to my consultants?

And, objects that had no fill now have fill, and text that is part of a group is not displaying; and, generally it looks like a big messy file.

Here is my setup: two plan files; plan 1 has plan 2 referenced into it (there is a match line drawn in each. Plan 1 contains all the (plan) sheets for this project. I want to export the design layers for each file, and the sheet layers. What is the best way to do this, and does this method require much extra work after the fact?

thanks....

Matthew, for clarification: my question would be: what arrangement do you want in the resulting DWG files? Do you want 1 DWG file for the design layers of each of the two files (i.e. 2 DWG files), and another DWG file for the sheet layers? Or 1 DWG file for the design layers of each file AND the sheet layers?

The DWG export has improved a lot since VW 2008 too.

I was thinking there would be two files: two plan files, with one plan xref'd into the other. The plan containing the xref would also contain the sheets (which are for reference only; each contains relevant annotations).

If I were using ACAD, I would simply send the two files to my consultant, and the reference file could be easily re-attached (if needed) since the file would recognize that I referenced an external file. As it appears, my consultants have to explode my files in order to work with them - which I believe is a BAD idea, generally speaking.

But what about the fill patterns? Some objects, but not all, which have no fills, export with them. It seems random to me, as I have not discerned a pattern.

Of all the 'other' programs I actually find VWs dwg export most intelligent/intuitive.

There are a couple of things you need to know and choose from when exporting sheets to dwgs:

- AutoCAD still have the stupidest setup possible when it comes to sheets(Paper space) and layers (Model space). Mainly because you can only have one model and an unlimited amount of Layouts in one file, this makes it almost impossible to export sheets/layouts from other programs (which can have an unlimited amount of models and sheets/layouts). VWs has solved this by introducing and option in which 'referenced files' are converted into blocks in model space, each in their own class(layer). This means that the sheet layer remains in tact as it is in VWs including Papers space viewports and the 'referenced' layers(models) are put in to the model space part of the dwg file for further use by the dwg users, this is not the way dwg users do it but then again if you see how they really do it it's embarrassing.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8541&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202013-01-16%20kl.%2012.20.44.png

- Much of what and how you export depends on the receiving consultants way of using dwgs. I suggest you discuss it with them and see what works best. I happen upon this time and again, most problems encountered when sending my converted files to dwg users is their absolute lack of competence in their own program, commands such as explode, purge etc etc seem to be completely new to them when I explain how they should solve most of their problems related to my converted files!

I usually export the sheets as mentioned above, and separately send my individual Design Layers as separate model space files in case they want to work on them, if they need to create layouts they can do this themselves in the manner they find most fitting, using the files I have sent. (Yes this includes more work for them in some cases but then again that's what you get using an inferior software package......)

Concerning fills, hatches and By-layer settings make sure you use the class function - 'Use on Creation' as much as possible in your own files!

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8542&filename=Sk%E4rmavbild%202013-01-16%20kl.%2012.41.13.png

It is very useful for dwg users if you use the 'Export Hatches and 2D Fills into Separate DXF Layers' this way they can hide or delete Fills and hatches that don't work for them (again VWs has far superior Hatch, Fill etc functions than AC and it is therefore hard to export them correctly.)

Draftsight for Mac or Trueview for PC are free dwg viewers and are useful for checking dwg output. (Using VWs to check dwg output is not smart......)

Edited by Vincent C

allow me to append to this thread.

my exports to .dwg from a vw2012 don't look ok either.

the thing is the messed up window/door marker appearance (mirrored or turned upside down).

i can't figure out a vw setting to make it look properly. it may lie on my incompetence, though...

rob

Edited by gester

the thing is the messed up window/door marker appearance (mirrored or turned upside down).

i can't figure out a vw setting to make it look properly. it may lay on my incompetence, though...

rob

Again a function present in VWs but not in AC, 'adjust flipped text'. These can be activated in the Document Preferences and in the Advanced settings in VPs. If they are activated text looks OK in VWs even though it is rotated and/or mirrored, this function is not available in AC. If you want it to be correct in AC you need to deactivate this function in VWs and change the text (.....somehow......this is not always straight forward)

Edited by Vincent C

I've found the free Draftsight CAD application to be helpful in cleaning up after doing a Vw export to DWG file. Draftsight can explode those plan blocks (artifacts of the Vw-DWG export), and purging them from the file puts things into better DWG order.

There is also a Vectorworks setting to Create Text Without Fill, which might further help to conform to the dumbed-down DWG file.