Texture on Wall Projections

jeffroyer

Having difficulty assigning a texture to a wall projection.

The object that I created has its own texture when rendered in 3d. When it is added to the wall as a projection, it no longer renders with its texture.

I have "use object 3d attributes" checked in the dialogue box. When I double click the protrusion to go into edit mode, the edit mode renders with the proper texture. When I go back to the overall rendering, it no longer has its texture.

I noticed in Vectorworks Help that it states the object will render with its own FILL - which implies it will not use the texture.

So sad. It had so much promise.

The beauty of the projection, if it could work, would be the possibility of representing varied materials on a continuous wall. The place I was trying to use it has windows and a door - so the openings become automatic.

My workaround is to break the wall into pieces - each with its own thickness and exterior material. Not very good.

• 4 years later...
On 15/01/2013 at 3:07 PM, jeffroyer said:

Having difficulty assigning a texture to a wall projection.

The object that I created has its own texture when rendered in 3d. When it is added to the wall as a projection, it no longer renders with its texture.

I have "use object 3d attributes" checked in the dialogue box. When I double click the protrusion to go into edit mode, the edit mode renders with the proper texture. When I go back to the overall rendering, it no longer has its texture.

I noticed in Vectorworks Help that it states the object will render with its own FILL - which implies it will not use the texture.

Hello, I'm new to the forum! 

I'm having this exact same problem and wondering if there is a way around this yet? 

I'm modelling container conversions and creating the corrugated sides by drawing it in 2d and extruding it to the right height, I'm then drawing a wall behind it (with wall tool) and using the wall projection to join them together so I can position windows/doors easily but I then (as above) can not apply textures to the exterior wall face. 

Maybe there is another way I can do this? 

Thanks 

Sometimes it's about using work-arounds rather than slogging away with the standard tools.

Assuming you want to have the wall projection in a different texture/colour just for the render/visual, whilst still maintaining your basic 2D layout ....

• Would applying a decal to the wall in the correct position/texture provide the solution?
  • Would using the extract tool provide the shape for its own texture just a 'nudge' (to keep geometry apart) in front of your added wall feature?

There is a good 'how-to' of the technique with different finishes on walls here....

https://youtu.be/ppJ6Q4j8hi4

Hi, 

Thanks for your replies, I seem to have got round it for now by creating a wall recess rather than a projection as that still allows you to add a different texture to either side o the wall. 

I'll have to do a bit more playing around with different way's of doing this but it seems to be working for now!

Thanks again.