Texture file dim

Hello:

I'm trying to make a net through the texture settings, unfortunately I've found a nice image for the texture but the settings are coming up weird, it works well for a section of the surface and then "merges" into thicker lines. I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact my image file is not a square but I'm not sure.

Any advice regarding what kind of image file type and dimensions are best for textures?

Thanks!

All the file types are ok, but png, jpg are common. I have also worked with pdf.

Depends on zoom level and desired detail. Small file sizes are efficient for the renders. Maybe under 100kb. But Vectorworks will take large files and make you wait while it renders. I think there is an actual file size limit, but do not know what it is. Might change from version to version.

I have some textures using 2Mb source files from point&shoot camera - usually image props for background terrain. But they cause long renders. It's usually worth reducing the file size in an image editor - compression or pixel count or both.

Don't know your image source, but you might make a "net" of lines in a Vectorworks drawing, export as image, modify if needed in an image editor, then reimport to Vectorworks as an image resource for use in textures. Use the image as an image mask in the texture transparency shader.

Post an example if you get stuck.

-B

The texture should tile properly in all directions on any planar surface. Post a screen shot, or better, post a sample.vwx file containing only a single object with the net texture. Or describe some more.

If the nylon web image shows the net twine crossing at right angles, the texture should show that as well. At least in views normal to planar surfaces.

Are you rendering in Plane or Perimeter mode? The Cylinder and Sphere modes will definitely distort the texture.

I have some image mask transparency textures which do not tile perfectly (but they are close) unless I add the image again as an image color shader (seems to control texture tile height). I've even had to stretch or compress the color shader image height by a few pixels in an image editor and remake the color shader with this modified image to get perfect tiling, but this is really splitting hairs.

Sorry to give you questions instead of solutions, but post back until you get this solved.

-B