Floors and rendering

hgdesign

In the current version (and also in I think 2012 & 2011?) the Floor has the ability to apply different textures to Top, Bottom and Sides... In older versions there are a couple ways to do it. As I recall, I used to trim back the floor so that its edges were inside line at the exterior of the wall (only needs to be 1" or so), then I would increase the lower walls' height by the thickness of the Floor... Another way is to create Walls in the Floor Layer, which are the same height as the Floor (this method also requires trimming the Floor, as per above)...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been editing my wall styles and adjusting the heights of individual wall components. I make a duplicate of my standard exterior wall style and tag for use on the second floor and then edit it so only the sheathing and siding components extend down the depth of the floor framing.

I make another duplication of the base wall style and tag it for the first floor and extend the outer components down to the top of the foundation walls. Now in my building section all of the profiles of the building components come in just like it would get built. You can even blow the sections up to detail level and not have to add much to it at all.

Something else you can do on the second floor is to set the wall style used for the second floor exterior walls to have the framing component and interior drywall component to NOT follow the wall peaks. Now when you extend the wall up to the roof at a gable then the stud wall stays at the plate height and also won't show up in your detail section. This way your gable wall doesn't overlap where you want a truss to go...whether you choose to model the truss or not.

Saves a lot of time masking and redrafting at the detail stage.

Joe