Space tool room dimensions

Hello,

Is it possible for Vectorworks to round the room dimensions generated by the Space tool? I have inserted the =(Space.'Room Dimensions')formula into a database header, but the result is too precise.

Rooms that happen to have whole numbers show up ok (10'0" x 10'0"), but other rooms show up with fractions or decimals (10'1.234" x 10'1 1/2"). This makes for a messy schedule.

Older versions of the Space tool had a simple feature built-in to the Object Info palette to control the rounding of room dimensions, but the newer version of the tool seems to have lost this (very useful) feature.

Also, because the result is a combination of dimensions and text, the cell cannot be formatted to a 'Dimension' or 'Fractional' standard.

Thanks,

Aaron

You can still trick the worksheet into rounding it the way you want.

The worksheet will also provide just the length or just the width. You can round those values and concatenate them into a single cell.

Or, to round to the nearest inch, do a little fancy math. I couldn't get it to concatenate like that. There's probably something I'm overlooking....

example attached.

hth

mk

You can still trick the worksheet into rounding it the way you want.

The worksheet will also provide just the length or just the width. You can round those values and concatenate them into a single cell.

Or, to round to the nearest inch, do a little fancy math. I couldn't get it to concatenate like that. There's probably something I'm overlooking....

example attached.

hth

mk

Wow, perfect, thanks. I didn't know about the CONCAT feature. Guess I need to catch up on Vectorworks spreadsheet fuctions.

This is a real timesaver.

Thanks again,

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

This solution may work for you:

I've been meaning to write a script that does something similar with a different object, and this seemed like a good opportunity to procrastinate on real work and learn how to do it. It's not an elegant script. (I'm a legendarily bad vector script writer.) But it gets the job done.

Open the attached file.

Draw a space object or use one existing in the drawing.

Double click the script in the floating palette or in the RB called "Rounded Space Dimensions".

If the space object uses the label called "Space Label-Rounded Dimensions" you should get the results you are looking for.

If you edit the geometry of a space object, just run the script again.

It works by taking the length and width of the space object rounding them to the nearest foot and putting the results into user field 1 and user field 2. Then the new space label just calls up those fields.

hth

mk

...I've been meaning to write a script that does something similar with a different object...

...It works by taking the length and width of the space object rounding them to the nearest foot and putting the results into user field 1 and user field 2. Then the new space label just calls up those fields...

Yes, that works nicely.

Thanks again,

Aaron

• 3 years later...

Hello.

Any advance on this 2013 answer? Have they sorted this in 4 years... a few requests on the forum from others. 

And I can't find the script download from the mk answer above in this new look forum. So I can't try this. Also

- We need this for metric, not imperial. Being able to round up to the nearest .1m ??? or nearest 100mm if not switching units.

or

- Can space tool 'calculated dims' display assigned dual dimensions? if so how? I can't find how to switch it?

Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Can't we PLEASE just have the ability to control how Room Dimensions are presented, both in the OIP and in a Worksheet????

A Room Dimension of 10'-3.9872" x 16'-8.2083" is perfectly useless for presentation drawings, and unnecessary information overload in a report.

Also, Vectorworks seems to understand the width and length of a rectangle based on X = width and Y = length, where many of us might consider the width of a rectangle its short dimension and the length of a rectangle its long dimension, regardless of its orientation.

Meanwhile, with Spaces, Vectorworks understands the width of a space as its narrow dimension and its length as its long dimension, regardless of its orientation, where typically we want to list the horizontal (X) dimension of a room as its width and the vertical (Y) dimension of a room as it's length or height.

Please invert the two!!!!!!!!!!  VWIS211

• Like 1