3d pdf (.u3d or .prc)

An option is to use SimLab Composer (http://www.simlab-soft.com/) to create 3D PDF files from .3ds files exported from VectorWorks.

It can also import other 3D file formats, so you could try exporting from Vectorworks in various 3D formats and see what works best for you.

SimLab Composer comes in three versions so you can choose based on your requirements. I have no vested interests in SimLab other than using the software myself from time to time.

Acrobat 9 should be able to do this as well if I remember correctly. Starting with Acrobat X (10) Adobe removed the 3D PDF generation technology from the Pro/Extended version and transferred the technology to a third party that made it a plugin that can be bought.

This plugin costs more than the SimLab software, so if you are looking for a free version this plugin is probably not going to be an option.

There may be free software that can generate U3D or PRC files, but unless you have Acrobat 8 or 9 Pro or extended you will not be able to generate 3D PDFs using Acrobat by itself from U3D or PRC files, you would still need the plugin for versions X or XI or use third party software to generate the 3D PDFs.