Vectorworks for AutoCAD heads

I am evaluating Vectorworks and come from a background of 15 years with AutoCAD. I am quite frustrated in any attempt to do anything Vectorworks. I suspect it is because of my AutoCAD mentality.

To begin with, I import or create a drawing. But as soon as I go to an isometric view, there are some objects that go to the 3-D view, and others that stay in plan view. The problem is that these views are all overlapping.

I really would love to find an article titled "Vectorworks for AutoCAD Heads". Does such an article exist?

Nemetschek support very strongly recommends the training CD's and take advantage of the return policy if we don't stay with Vectorworks... but we are unlikely to purchase anything just to evaluate it.

Joe Dunfee

Joe - I have just done the transition from acad to VW - 5 yrs acad experience and now 3 months vw experience.

The 3d view thing is this:

Objects you draw in 2d do not 'rotate' with the view as you change to a 3d view (unlike 2d lines in acad)

3d objects behave similar to acad 3d objects as you change views

VW plug-in objects (eg doors) consist of a 2d object and a 3d object. When you change the view, you get to see the 3d component.

I downloaded an old VW8 tutorial which I found quite useful. I can't find it on the www, but it's 1.8mb to email if u want - I found it quite useful, but still didn't answer all the questions.

Hope that helps a bit.

In the past, I went over the version 8 tutorial as well. However, it regularly refered to burried option screens without telling you how to get there... I eventually gave up on it. I have only spent a few minutes on the current version of the manual. But since Nemetschek is so strong in recommending the video series, I suspect they don't expect me to be able to do much with the on-line manual.

Joe Dunfee

The other thing about changing views, only objects on the current layer will be displayed in the iso view. Objects on another layer will not change to the ico view until you go to that layer and change the view setting.

You may want to look at Layer Links if you want several layers to switch view when you go to view . iso view. A layer link is just one layer where you can add your other layers to for viewing purposes. You cannot change things in that layer. You will still need to go to the fundamental layer the objects were drawn on to chnage anything.

The Training Cd's are an excellent training resource. It shows you in video format how to do certain things, then it gives you an exercise to follow. This allows you to actually do the stepos and see how things are done.

There are also a few books out there about VW FOundation and VW architect. Janis Kent's book is primarily geared for Architecture. Tom Baer's book is primarily geard as a dictionary resource. It tells you what the tool will do, what the limitations are, and possible ideas for using the tool.

I would suggest the training CD's over the books since they are hands on and they show you what the program does. There are also a number of training seminars in various cities in the USA which are also pretty helpful. We send our new Tech Support people to these seminars to help learn VW. So you know they gotta be worth something ..

As always, if you have questions, you can always email us at tech@nemetschek.net, post it here (i sit on here all day long), or give us a call at 410-290-5114.

Good Luck.