worksheet sum feature

digitalcarbon

Question

10 answers to this question

mk, was just at your web site. someone at vw needs you to streamline the worksheet program. your worksheet formatting tool is really good.

Q. since spread sheets are not a new item why not have the data export to any existing spread sheet then vw does not need to spend time developing spread sheets but can work on export and import live spread sheets?

DM I think the problem stems from each pipe instance having a unique record from the Function record. Summing the fixed length filters the report to using the Fixed Length record which gives you a result by each unique length used.

In the attached file I managed to get the correct result by adding a Total length column which is calculated from the fixed length by the count. Then by dividing that figure by 20' you get the answer you need.

There may be other solutions and hopefully after the New Year one of the 'Worksheet Gurus' will respond with a better solution. In the meantime though what I have done will get you the correct result.

It works if you sort by length instead of Function.

The sum command summarizes all the like values in adjacent cells in a database column. So you first have to sort to get them to line up the correct way that bunches all the like values together. That's why the function column values go away when sorting by Function and summarizing by length - there are multiple Function values for each of the the summarized length values.

If it were to give the values you want with those commands it would have to ignore the sort - which would be very annoying in many circumstances. i.e., The worksheet would have to pick an order of summarized cells different than the way it is sorted.

If the values in a summarized column are

A

A

A

B

B

A

A

B

B

VW databases seem to summarize them to

A

B

Rather than

A

B

A

B

Not sure why. Perhaps the New Years Gurus will have some information.

The way to get the correct counts you are looking for is to sort the database by that column to get

A

A

A

A

A

B

B

B

B

and then sum to get

A

B

This will make the counts work correctly.

This example might be helpful.

Often you want to sort and summarize and count by two criteria. Say 3 shapes and 3 colors of each shape. You would first sort by shape and then sort by color. Then summarize first by shape and then by color. Call for a count in the database header and you will get a count of each shape in each color.

Example attached.

mk