Can't adjust spread and beam on lighting devises

When you adjust the beam and spread of a RW spotlight, it changes the softness of the edge of the light. If they're the same, it's sharp. If they're different, it gets increasingly softer. Adjusting the beam and field of a lighting device doesn't do that. The beam and spread options (with the little angled interface) are there for a lighting device, but greyed out.

I just saw that it works on a source 4 PAR, but not a 50deg or other ERS.

So, I repeat: how do I make a soft-edged gobo projection?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Only option is to adjust the gobo image or turn up the soft shadows and blurriness options in Renderworks.

The gobo always renders a hard edge, adjusting the beam and field (or beam and spread) only soften the outer edges.

Nicholas:

I have found the best approach is to blur the Gobo image itself in something like Photoshop or Graphic Converter. I then add them as gobos through the resource palette. It's all a little bit of a pain, but the end result quality is as fine-grained as I could hope for & once the gobo is blurred, I keep it in a folder for further use.

I have added two files (same gobo, different level of blur) in case you're curious as to how they work...

Happy holidays

• 3 weeks later...