Dimensions change

I have a problem with VW on the windows platform. The dimensions have very long extensions above and beside the slash mark. This makes the dimension cumbersome looking and the extensions extend up to the next dimension line. Also, at the same time the wall line weights are very heavy. Detail is lost and I must have zoom line weight turned off in order to draw. I've used VW for a number of years now, this dimension and line weight behaviour is strange. The originating file came from a Mac. If I take a strange dimension and place it into a new document it becomes normal again.

Do I have a corrupt preference? Is there something in the drawing that is causing line weights to become bizzarre? Does anyone have any suggestions?

A couple comments:1) Who created the file? 2) Did they have wall line weights, etc. set as you see them (ie: very fat)?3) Go to menu>PAGE item>UNITS and check the document's accuracy settings. Change them if nec.4) Do a custom selection of all 'fat' lines and change their weight en masse.

Hope this is of some help...PLC

Check to make sure you have Arrows Inside checkmarked on all the dimensions from the OIP.

If the arrows are set outside, you usually end up with lines that extend past the hash marks you would traditionally use.

I have had the problem with the dimension lines every since I began with MiniCad 7. I am on a Mac. For me the dimension lines go crazy when I create them in a detail and save them as a symbol. When I insert the saved symbol with dimensions into a detail sheet, the lines extend and make a mess. The only solution I have found is to one by one move the position of the text which then redraws the dimension line properly.

Tech support suggested that I open the Class Menu and choose Dimension and then click Edit. They said this would force a redraw of all dimensions. (It did not work for me).

I copied all objects in the drawing to a new drawing. It didn't fix the problem. THe lineweights are still mighty heavy and the dimensions still have long extensions. The new drawing was made out of a stationary template made from the previous ( problematic) version of the file. I did this so I'd be able to import the layer names without writing them down and typing them in.

I believe the problem may right itself if I start from a fresh, blank document. I'll keep you posted.

Well, another way to fix(?) this is to ungroup each of the dimensions in the symbol. This turns it into a lot of objects (they can be immediately re-grouped for cleanliness). They won't distort when the symbol is referenced, and if they need to be changed, they can be deleted and new dimensions drawn)

Thanks for your replies. I think Titanium Samurai ( sorry for not spelling the name correctly) is on to the real issue here. I created the files myself. If I take the file into a new doc. via cut and paste then the problem rights itself. My question is - Is there a way to adjust the dimension settings? Can I reestablish line weight sanity without all the effort.