Class Changes to None

VW 9.5.2 on a Mac G4. I just created some new classes. When I make them active and draw something, the class assigned is "NONE". The "Use at Creation" box is checked "Yes". I was using the rectangle tool drawing polygons. This has nothing to do with auto-classing PIO's.

I also noted that when this happens there is no class showing in the menu bar. The other classes already created work fine.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: Kevin ]

Did you rename or delete the none class at any point?

In a new blank document, can you reproduce the error?

You should never have a class show up as nothing in the classes drop down box. That might be a sign of a corrupted file.

Katie;I created a new document and everything worked fine. As far as I know, I did not make any modification to the default none class.

I have tried different approaches. I have deleted all of the offending classes and tried to create new ones. I have both allowed VW to assign a name and I have tried to assign a name myself. Each time when I go to use the new class it appears in the menu bar for a split-second and then dissappears. Only the pull-down arrow is visible. If I draw in that state, the object takes on the NONE class attributes.

The already established classes work fine. It has the appearance of having reached a limit of where it will not accept any more new classes. I have 114 classes in this document.

You said the document might be corrupted. If so, what do I do? Thank you in advance.

114 classes should not cause that problem. I don't know what might have caused the problem.

If you would like for me to take a peek at the file, I might be able to find something in it to salvage it. You can email it to tech@nemetschek.net, attn: Katie. As soon as I get it, I'll look at it and see what I can do for you.

I have heard the phrase "copy and paste" quite a few times now. Just exactly what is the protocol for doing this?

Do I create a new document with the same layers and then layer by layer copy all items from the original document to the new document?

If corruption is the issue, is there anything to do in the future to help insure against corruption?

Katie;Thank you for the offer. The file is rather large. it is 90 meg. It contains several layers of scanned sheets. Obviously I cannot email it.

Should I just "copy and paste" first and see if that fixes the problem? The file is working fine otherwise.

Thank you for your offer to look at it.

Kevin, That's a good idea.

To copy and paste, you want to create a new, blank document. Set up the layers and scales appropriately. Go to the bad drawing, set layer options to Avtive only and Class Options to show snap modify others. Select all objects from layer one, copy, go to the new, blnak document you created and do Paste in Place. This will retain the coordinates.