Connecting roof faces cursor not highlighting selectable 3d geometry

I was able to make a connection between roof faces, using the connect tool--but only if they were overlapping. I have not been able to replicate the functionality I would really like to have: automatically extending a roof by selecting a roof object and combining with an adjacent roof object, as seems to be the demonstration video.

It works for me, as follows: First, have two (or more) Roof Faces which are separated (and 'joinable' in terms of pitch and position); second (I did this in an isometric view) select the Connect/Combine Tool in either the first or second Modes; with the First Mode selected the Joining is a two-step process, first highlight one Roof Face then drag to the second roof face. The first Roof Face will extend to its intersection point with the second Roof Face. Then perform the same procedure with the second Roof Face. Mission accomplished. With the second Mode it's a one step process, simply highlight on Roof Face and drag to the other. Mission accomplished... NOTE: there are some (fairly rare in my experience) cases in which the results are slightly odd. This could be a clue that the roof(s) might be tricky to actually build and sometimes make me rethink the design.

Still unsuccessful trying to join roofs that were created with the "create roof"

command. I have attached screenshots. And, I can't join roofs that are not overlapping (they seem joinable: same pitch and elevation). I've attached two screen shots showing ability to join a roof created using "create roof face" command.

Still totally baffled. I've checked the preferences, Tamsin. But, everthing is checked and highlighting does occur with other tools.

As I understand it, that tool/command is intended for use on Roof Faces, not Roof Objects. Roof Objects are made via the Create Roof command; Roof Faces are made via the Roof Face command). But all is not lost. If you Ungroup a Roof Object you end up with its various Roof Faces. So then the Connect/Combine Tool should work. One note: by Ungrouping a Roof Object you will lose most of its parametric abilities... Buon a positive note, I use Roof Faces all the time and in many ways prefer them to Roof Objects for anything other than very preliminary models...

Peter-

" First, have two (or more) Roof Faces which are separated (and 'joinable' in terms of pitch and position".

Can you elaborate on this Peter? Is it just another instance where VW makes the (wrong) assumption one would never join roofs of different pitch?

bc: further... I have just rediscovered that VW's actually changes the thickness of one of the Joined Roof Faces if the Pitches of the joined faces are different. I assume this is meant as a way to ensure that the splice is always plumb... However in my opinion it is an undesirable result. The only way to work around this is to manually change the thickness after the join, then adjust the height of one (or both) face(s). Or, join the Roof Faces manually (using Add/Clip Surface) in the first place...

I was attempting exactly what you show.

I couldn't do it on my recent file.

Regardless of the mode, it would only extend one of the faces to the resulting peak. The other face wouldn't go.

I had to reshape that face's poly in plan.

Might be a glitch in my file.

JUST NOW NOTICED YOUR SECOND COMMENT.

Well that sucks...and is plane silly to boot. Who is making these kinds of decisions?

Edited by bc

I can't get it to work in 2013 either...using a fresh file.

I did notice the mode bar option for joining dissimilar thicknesses and it is exactly for changing the object roof face to the thickness of the other.

At any rate, I must be doing something wrong.

EDIT: I can get it to work in plan view only but it doesn't join all the way. Stops just short.

Here's the test in 2013:

Edited by bc

Such as one extending and the other not?

I couldn't get it to work at all except Top Plan View

When I took one of the parallel roof faces and turned it 90 degrees to the other (as in a hip roof)it would work extending in either direction (toward the ridge or toward the hip).

So I suppose it is what it is.