Materials for VW part 1

dm, great idea.

It could also be the way to treat wall components, so each component would have attributable values and behaviour, say for instance if the outside component was weatherboard (sidings) then it would start 50mm (2 inches) below the timber framing component.

So VW would work with real world materials and construction techniques instead of abstract concepts.

While on the subject of framing;

The framing tools need to be revamped.

Need more options for corner and intersection framing.

Need more options for number of jack studs for header support.

Need to be able to define header size.

Would be great to have or utilize joist and rafter span tables that are in IBC/IRC code books (here in the states), and have VW warn us when we are trying to exceed these span tables based on selected material.

Would also be great to have VW warn us when we are exceeding header heights. Example: placing an 8' tall door in an 8' wall.

D Wood,

so your concept would be walls made up of products, the siding would "stick" to the timber framing and not come loose but you could stretch it in any direction, but not change the thickness. if the timber framing moved in plan the siding would move because it is stuck to the framing.

i have been experimenting with small projects by modeling the real product and using little of the parametric tools. what i get is a really accurate model capable of producing a good 3" detail. the down side is that it is not fast as a parametric tool. but what good is fast if you can only use it for plans and nothing else? also my computer runs slower and i cannot imagine working this way on a big building...

when i model i do so as to get a good top, section, elevation interior & exterior, details & a white model. so it is worth the time invested.

it seems like we should work on assembling products and then have tools that allow us to manage those products in 3d.