Unified View, always on please

Christiaan

Question

19 answers to this question

I would prefer default settings to have it permanently on unified view. (and then have the option to click it off for a non unified view).

In theory that's what we already have but VW has always been quite bad at holding onto a user's settings, because so many settings get reset for various reasons or come with the document itself.

Is there any reason to still have it? If so I vote for a very clear in your face warning or UI color scheme for indicating it is not activated......

A similar confusing situation I find (especially for new users) is Design Layers with different scales. I.m.h.o. any DL connected to (the Model) Storys should have sticky similar scales, and if not, should have an in your face warning that they have a different scale.

Edited by Vincent C
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Older workflow support really is the only reason there is still a toggle for Unified view, as far as I know. I'm in favor of it being always on.

Some users insist that multiple design layer scales are needed, I have never fully understood why. They often have some kind of odd non-Vectorworks-based workaround they are using for another unrelated reason that keeps them using varying scales. I am usually unable to talk them out of it.

I too am curious what use would there for non-unified view? Might it be to show different views of different layers? Isn't that what viewports are for?

I use different scaled Design Layers all the time, but I'm not drawing buildings, but I agree there seems to be no need for them when using stories. Can't see how it would work, and can't imagine how different design layer scales would work with unified view.

I don't get it too :)

The models get drawn in real size.

By zooming the viewport I change the scale all the time.

The Scale setting influences :

- Symbols Detail representation high/low (?)

- Font sizes (?)

- the Proportion between Scale independent and dependent things

I don't care about my page size as long as I'm modeling or drawing.

I start to care when I create my Page Layouts and include the drawings

in a special scale.

Did I get something wrong ?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That situation doesn't seem too complex or at risk of confusing multiple layer scales. The main point there is that you could have ALL the design layers at 1:1 (or 1:48 or 1/4", whatever floats your boat as long as they're the same), then just create a viewport and scale that for it to fit within your page on a sheet layer.

The template layer for the leg and the layer that the table geometry resides on could both be at 1:1 without issue, just create the viewports at the scales needed to fit on the page on the sheet layer. If you wanted to show the leg in detail in the same page as showing an overview of the table, the viewports could be scaled differently so that both would be visible without having to mess with your design layer scaling at all.

With something like a table, I don't see it being a huge problem to use varying scales since its relatively easy to keep track of.

The main problems I run into with users is when they have a scanned in image or PDF where they want to scale the whole layer that the scanned image is on rather than re-size the scanned image, as well as an imported layer of something like county borders from a shape file that they also scale so it fits within a design layer page, but then they attempt to zoom into something around 200,000% which can cause serious issues, rather than just working on everything at 1:1 or 1:48 and properly scaling individual imported geometry and scans to their appropriate sizes.

Also, it isn't even that having layers at different scales is WRONG either, it just causes headaches elsewhere. For instance, one sheet layer viewport can only show design layers at one scale, so if you had geometry on two layers at different scales, you'd need two overlapping viewports to show both layers. Having all design layers at one scale prevents that. There are more examples of where varying design layer scales cause issues but they escape me at the moment.

The main problems I run into with users is when they have a scanned in image or PDF where they want to scale the whole layer that the scanned image is on rather than re-size the scanned image, as well as an imported layer of something like county borders from a shape file that they also scale so it fits within a design layer page, but then they attempt to zoom into something around 200,000% which can cause serious issues, rather than just working on everything at 1:1 or 1:48 and properly scaling individual imported geometry and scans to their appropriate sizes.

:o :cry:

I too am curious what use would there for non-unified view? Might it be to show different views of different layers? Isn't that what viewports are for?

That's the only time I ever turn unified view off. If I'm drawing something small like a piece of furniture. I sometimes like to have design layer viewports in top, side, front, and isometric views while I draw on the active layer. Sort of a poor man's multi view.

But, I agree that it doesn't need to be on the tool bar or have a keyboard shortcut. It should be like click drag or offset duplicate. Set your preferences once and forget it.

You also need to turn off 'center on objects after view change' Unified view could be right next to that preference.

mk

Edited by michaelk

Well when it comes to varying scales in DLs there is reason why i would like to be able to do this however it is mainly connected to the fact that dimensions, text etc cannot be individually set to be SLVP scale dependent/independent (i don't consider SLVP overrides a solution for this because it effects all instances in the VP). When creating details i do this in DLs (non story) including all annotation notes etc. When drawing them I need the DL to be the scale they will be on the SL to make sure all annotation, text, dimensions, hatches etc. are represented correctly and the right size at that particular scale. However these are exceptions to the rule and i would still like to have sticky scales for any DLs related to the Story setup........or make it possible to have scale independent annotations, dimensions, markes, hatches etc.....

(If you don't understand what I mean: "how many times haven't you been irritated when creating a SLVP with stairs with markers that look nice at scale 1:50 only to find that when you create another SLVP at scale 1:200 the stair markers have suddenly become grotesquely oversized and then when overriding the marker size in the VP, other markers suddenly become way to small?!")

Well the same goes for dimensions hatches, text, etc etc.....so far my wish in relation to this has been ignored, so the need for different scale DLs remains........

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=35657&Number=175472#Post175472

Edited by Vincent C

If unified view is off, layer stacking order determines what is obscured by objects in other layers.

This is sometimes helpful.

Uniform layer scale throughout a drawing makes problems (workarounds) in giant sites - eg regional rail transit system. Variously scaled viewports from that giant system DL means loads of marginally successful adjustments in the VP Advanced settings.

My votes:

Unified View default ON Yes

Unified View always ON No

Uniform Design Layer Scale No

Drawing Pref to set uniform layer scale Yes

(What a killjoy!)

-B

Hi,

I also agree that layer views should be on by default, but it useful to turn off. Esp if settings are set to hide objects in Sheet Plane, which is the usual issue I find in our studios. Also aligh layers changes some snapping, and 2d creation modes.

Also doesn't unified view override a design layers render settings. In older versions of Vw I remember using different render settings for different layers. I have been thinking of this lately, as I want to be able to save the render settings for design layers with flattened section VPs to trace over. That is, have the section / elevations in wireframe mode, but the section VP layer rendered in hidden line mode.

Am I mistaken?

yeah, i've never been too keen on the "Obligatory" Unified View in ANY form, but if, perhaps it was made available in a "Secondary Window Format" so it could be thrown on a second or third monitors as a backup possibility, then yes, it might be quite useful, but not as the standard.

It's useful, but i wouldn't want to have to deal with it every day.

That's what the "Number Keypad" is there for!!