no AXONOMETRIC projection in VW!!!

Hi Epidavros,

Not sure what you mean here. By definition, axonometric projections include projections which use vertical lines to represent height and sloping parallel edges for all other sides. As such, there are a number of axonometric drawings, including "isometric" (three equal angles), "dimetric" (two equal angles), "trimetric" (three different angles), "oblique" (1 side facing the observer), and "planometric" (also called plan oblique). VectorWorks includes isometric and oblique (cavalier and cabinet) options in the View menu. Dimetric and trimetric projections can be created by starting in an isometric projection, and then using the Flyover Tool to rotate the view.

This debate came up in one of our seminars last year, and I have a couple of web pages bookmarked with more info if you'd like.

HTH...

Peter,

thanks for your reply. you are right!!!, axonometric projection is a broad term that includes various instances in drawing. I've misused the term (it seems there is a generalized accepted misuse of the term in the field)when referring to axonometric... I was particularly meaning PLAN OBLIQUE or PLANOMETRIC...

having said that, the question goes: HOW DOES ONE CREATE PLANOMETRIC DRAWINGS IN VECTORWORKS?(the flyover tool askews the desired perpendicular angles)

by the way, congrats. ont the outstanding job with the VW training cds!!! thanks again,

epidavros

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

VectorWorks has two projection types for creating plan obliques. These are the so-called "cabinet" and "cavalier" projections. Cavalier projections are isometric. X is presented along X, Y along Y, and Z at either 45 or 30 degrees from X depending on which of the two Cavalier projections you use. Cabinet projections are the same, except the Z value is at 50% of isometric. This gives a less vertically exaggerated view. Both of these are in essence rotated "axonometrics" (at least, that's the way I learned to draw "axos" in school). So plot one of these from your 3D model, rotate the paper 30 or 45 degrees, and there's your axo. Note that there are some rendering limitations -- you can use only the "native VectorWorks" methods of rendering -- hidden line, dashed hidden line, and the various polygonal renderers. This is because none of the "standard" rendering libraries (OpenGL or Lightworks) support these projections. VectorWorks is in fact one of the few CAD programs that supports these projections.

HTH, Robert

What I always learned as Plan Oblique and Elevation Oblique in school have never once been applied to anything that I've done as a professional. In small spaces the projcted walls of a plan cover up too much of the floor area to be useful. If I remember correctly the awkward proportion of the vertical elements looks better at 75-80% of the scaled dimension (rather than 50%)??