Saved Views and Heliodon settings

VincentCuclair

Question

9 answers to this question

I agree. Heliodon settings should be per viewport.

On a similar note, I actually think the Heliodon should be automatically integrated into your document settings. I don't know of a world where the sun does't exist. Having to place a heliodon every time just creates one more item to lose track of.

If it were in the document settings, then the master controls for location would be real-world document based and separate controls for time of day would be part of the viewport characteristics.

I agree. Heliodon settings should be per viewport.

On a similar note, I actually think the Heliodon should be automatically integrated into your document settings. I don't know of a world where the sun does't exist. Having to place a heliodon every time just creates one more item to lose track of.

If it were in the document settings, then the master controls for location would be real-world document based and separate controls for time of day would be part of the viewport characteristics.

Certainly agree that there should be per-viewport settings for a single heliodon instance, instead of having to do multiple heliodons & control them by class visiblity. Edit: oops, there IS a way to handle this, on the Lighting panel.

As far as document-level heliodon, it'd streamline some projects to have a master heliodon location but if that was added as a feature it is important to be able to override it on a per-viewport / per-sheet basis. Think about the case where, for instance, you are designing a standardized building that will be used in different parts of the country / world, & you want to conveniently render it at different latitudes. Would not be fun to have to create separate documents & use linked viewports / layers to achieve that. The current free-form heliodon system handles this use case easily.

Perhaps another option would be to expand the Heliodon tool settings w/ a checkbox or menu-drop down to designate a heliodon instance as "the master heliodon" for the document. As mentioned above, on the Viewport settings there could be a Heliodon date/time field that would set the viewport's date & time for that master heliodon.

If there were multiple heliodons, those could be given names, & then any one of those named heliodons could be selected in the viewport's drop-down menu, i.e. to pick the desired location.

Edited by Gilbert Osmond

Ok,

when looking at some of my VP with different Top Plan Views I also would like

to use different sun angles.

So I +1 too.

Location as document setting,

north direction maybe too.

That's what will be default when you create a new Heliodon.

And an option in VP setting to overwrite Helios time, date and north direction