Callout tool: text margin bug?

Christiaan

Anyone notice the text margin to the callout tool seems to be buggy.

For instance, create a note with a box bubble style. Create a text margin of 1. If you're scale is 1:1 the text margin works as expected. However if you now change to a 1:50 scale to get the same margin you have to input 50. This gives you the margin you want but the value flicks back to 1 as you do it.

• 6 years later...

OK since 2012 this is still an issue?  It would seem this needs to be a page based scale object correct?  Why then do we have to do math with every different scale of detail drawing we do to get consistent callout bubble sizes?  It's these little things that drive me nuts about this program and I reiterate - anyone using Rhino - do you think they would allow these bugs in that program?  Why us?

• Like 1

To add from my experience...

As a rule I've only used the callout tool in the annotation layer of viewports. This has been consistent over all VW versions since the introduction of the callout tool. However, when opening a previous VW version file from the latest version I find my callout bubbles wildly out of scale along with the text margin value. This is fixed by manually editing the text margin of one callout which then returns all the other callouts to their proper (original) size. I don't use styles,  just the out of the box settings, same bubble style, and always with the same font also used throughout the document.

I usually just sigh and move on.😒

I also only use callout tool in annotation, and in fact I pretty much never put text, dimensions etc in design layers because that makes no sense to me even though it seems to be encouraged in some VW tutorials. Anyway, recently I had some imported design layers that included text (mapping stuff) and to sort out units issues I had to scale it I think by a factor of 1000. I ticked the 'scale text' box and the text (ie font size) was scaled correctly, however something weird happened to the text boxes which I think might be the issue here. Initially I though the whole drawing was corrupted because there seemed to be hundreds of ghost objects stretching off to infinity. But on inspection I found they were all text objects - the text the right size but somehow contained in boxes that were several km long. Selecting all the text and re-assigning a text size seemed to fix it.

6 hours ago, RGyori said:

This has been consistent over all VW versions since the introduction of the callout tool. However, when opening a previous VW version file from the latest version I find my callout bubbles wildly out of scale along with the text margin value. 😒

The margins on callouts on drawings I imported from 2017 to 2018 got messed up something like this, I seem to remember.

I don't know what all you folks are doing.  How is it that you can have a library of details with no text or callouts in them?  Or for that matter a library of details without callouts.  I'm not talking about a few drawings here of a back yard.  We have drawing sets with hundreds of sheets and hundreds of details.  It is standard in our industry and teh architectural field to use callouts in details for clarity.  The fact that this tool is such a pain to use, along with other issues, is one reason why Vectorworks has so little market share.  Listen to veterans of the field and see what they do in large construction document sets - and learn.

12 minutes ago, lgoodkind said:

I don't know what all you folks are doing.  How is it that you can have a library of details with no text or callouts in them?  Or for that matter a library of details without callouts.  I'm not talking about a few drawings here of a back yard.  We have drawing sets with hundreds of sheets and hundreds of details.  It is standard in our industry and teh architectural field to use callouts in details for clarity.  The fact that this tool is such a pain to use, along with other issues, is one reason why Vectorworks has so little market share.  Listen to veterans of the field and see what they do in large construction document sets - and learn.

Speaking only for myself I tend to do smaller scale projects that are usually quite bespoke and/or involve work on existing buildings. This means that hardly any two projects will have an identical detail so a 'detail library' of the kind you describe is just not something I need or use.

But I can see in large scale commercial work where you have standard details that are repeated across projects, that a detail library becomes more relevant and why you'd want to have your text and callouts on a design layer rather than as annotations.

• Like 1