advice please setting up framing/ceiling plans etc...

BG

I would like to know how people set up there framing / ceiling foundation plans etc. The layer linking off the "base plan" from which to draw over seems to be one method. but the control of the line type from the linked plan is impossible?. For example in a "floor framing plan" how does one show the walls under as dashed so as to make the framing layout over clearly represented. I am also aware of "greying" out classes layers etc.. but this is unsatisfactory for copying and reproduction.

Any ideas would be much appreciated smile.gif" border="0

BG, we have tried many methods and have recently started to do it this way: Use a very carfully created "base" layer under the framing plan. We do not change it to dotted but do remove any extraneous items (by classing them) like fixtures, floor patterns, etc. Since our walls are always some shade of gray and and have a 6p line weight, using 12p white-filled objects for framing members works pretty well. If the framing is on top of the walls, it looks just like it would in real life, which is the way I like it. PLC

On the subject of framing plans; Does anyone have suggestions on how to draw the schematic beams and joists?

Normally a line is drawn to show the direction and extent of the joists. At the end of that line is an arrowhead. I use different types of arrowheads to denote whether the joist is a roof rafter, floor joist, ceiling joist. Then I have to manually insert text above the line to show what the line is, ie: "2x8 Floor Joists @ 16" O.C." This is very time intensive. What I need is a tool like the dimensioning tool that will draw a line with attached text and that can have various options of end markers such as broad solid arrow, open broad arrow, narrow solid arrow, etc.

The same applies to beams although with beams I show them as thick dotted lines with text above showing the beam size.

A similar need is to show slope of paving. There I need a line with a single arrowhead showing direction with attached text to show slope, ie: "Slope to Drain @ 1/4" per foot".

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.