text problem

originally when i started working here, all of the drawings had geneva fonts for all the text. whenever the drawings were plotted, some of the letters would run together and some would have a space between them that was almost as large as a "real" space. i changed all the text to aerial, and that seemed to fix that problem. now whenever the text is underlined, there are gaps in the underline between some letters. is there a font that most people use in vectorworks, and is this a problem with the printer/software. we are using an hp 488ca. thanks in advance.

sincerely,

Josh BickelAudio Analysts3286 N. El PasoColorado Springs, CO 80907Audio Analysts

I believe it to be PostScript issue. Printing to our PS laserjet and the PS plotter gives ugly text sometimes, yet the Epson (non-PS) has no PS font onboard, so it pulls the font info from the computer. If you could find a non-PS font, or force the printer to 'download' fonts from your computer (Illustrator can do this)...

If under OSX, try Lucida Grande.

thanks TS. i will give it a try tomorrow at work. i think you are right about the PS issue. when i print 8.5x11 checkplots, on a non-ps printer, everything seems to be fine, but when i print from the plotter, thats where the problems are visible. could be that the text is so small on the checkplots. i know this problem might not be an issue to some people, but if my name is on a drawing, i want it to look as great as possible. anyways, thanks again and i will try the font tomorrow morning.

Quite frequently the "Disable driver text rotation" checkbox in the print dialog will also fix this.NNA provides a free font for both Mac and Windows called Archie. Otherwise the most popular fonts appear to be Tekton and Mr. Hand.

whenever i come to the dialog box, before i print, the only box that i have checked is the "print post script only." i have also clicked on the disable driver text rotation before, but to be honest, i dont remember the results. i will give that a shot also. tekton and mr. hand arent fonts that i am familiar with (grew up on a pc(for all i know, those could quite be common pc fonts, and i just never came across them)). i will see if the mac at work has them on there tomorrow morning also. thanks for the tips.

sincerely,

josh bickel

ps: Matthew and Katie.......i'm fairly new to the VW world, but i have been to the msg boards numerous times recently (numerous times daily), and have spent hours reading others questions and reading your responses. i think that it goes without saying, that all of us out here appreciate what you guys do for us. i also appreciate the individuals that respond to questions that others have. thanks, Matthew, Katie, and everyone else that has found this msg board to be usefull

Both Tekton and Mr. Hand are commercial fonts, I don't think they are available for free anywhere.

Tekton comes in flavors by both Adobe and Linotype, you can see an example HERE.

Mr. Hand can bee seen HERE along with some other good fonts.

As for the VW Print Checkboxes her is a list of what they do...

Print Postscript only... Only send PS code to the printer instead of sending PS code with an additional Raster image. It's faster this way, and some weird printers will choose the low resolution raster image when presented with both. This box should no do anything if you are not using a PostScript printer.

Enable special processing for transparent color bitmaps... PostScript does not understand what transparency is, so if you have any imported images in your file where you set the fill to none, (A none fill on an image makes white pixels transparent) a normal PostScript printer would keep printing them as while. This box will trick the printer by looking at VW's screen output for the image area.

Disable Driver text rotation.... This preprocess text blocks in VectorWorks so the printer does not have to think about them. It frequently will clear up all kinds of printer and driver specific text problems. (Including scrunched text, odd spacing, mirrored text, and other errors)

Print current view... This tells VectorWorks to disregard the layer scale and try to fit exactly what is visible on the screen onto a single sheet of paper.

Glad to help,Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

I've also seen this if you have an AutoCad driver installed instead of the standard driver.

If you have an AutoCad driver installed, please go to the manufacturers web site and download the standard driver and install it in addition to the AC driver.