Existing openings in walls

• 9 years later...

You can do this: select the door and click in Parameters (OIP); in the tabs, change the configuration type to open without frame and other settings, how the class; change the BIM data to demolition.

Duplicate the wall. Change the dimensions and position, how the door, and the BIM information, too.

On 4/15/2022 at 7:27 PM, jmhanby said:

Vectorworks 2021 - how do I show an infill at a demolished door and window? New vectorworks user here coming from Revit.  In Revit the wall automatically infills.

I believe WinDoor, which comes with VW2022, includes a feature which allows you to do this automatically but you won't have access to this in VW2021 unfortunately.

Using the standard Door + Window Tools the way I do it is to put the door or window being removed in a '-Demolished' class then make it invisible, leaving a hole in the Wall. Then I fill the hole with a section of Wall + place this in a '-Proposed' class. So with the Demolished class on + the Proposed class off you will see the existing condition (the door or window in the wall), and with the visibility the other way around you will see the proposed condition (the door or window removed + the hole filled in).

Where the Window has a sill the hole in the Wall may not be a uniform square shape that can be easily filled with a new section of Wall so you might need to model the replacement wall in 3D then turn it into a hybrid symbol in order to have it look correct in Top/Plan.

I have not tried the WinDoor way of doing it yet but looking forward to looking at it as like you say, this really should be a built-in feature.

1989630204_Screenshot2022-04-17at08_43_24.thumb.png.c40039775e8571a91073d79cdb4b67fd.png   1286976424_Screenshot2022-04-17at08_43_32.thumb.png.661e8bd1b3e07efd83268506eee6e31b.png

712684440_Screenshot2022-04-17at08_43_43.thumb.png.ccdf77df2847fb7741c29a0684453ace.png   535060447_Screenshot2022-04-17at08_43_53.thumb.png.cb334a834fbe1632a8c259c26948dd74.png

You can obviously use a different wall style for the infill in order for it to have a different graphical representation if desired.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I have not tried the WinDoor way of doing it yet but looking forward to looking at it as like you say, this really should be a built-in feature.

There are a bunch of training videos over at the Vw University, search for ‘Windoor’.

https://university.vectorworks.net/course/index.php?mycourses=0&tagfilter[category]=0&tagfilter[type]=0&tagfilter[difficulty]=0&mycourses=&search=Windoor+&langfilter[]=0

Specifically this video around the 1m28s mark discusses the settings for existing walls around Windoor objects:

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/overview/view.php?id=2598

HTH.

Edited by rDesign
1 hour ago, rDesign said:

There are a bunch of training videos over at the Vw University, search for ‘Windoor’.

https://university.vectorworks.net/course/index.php?mycourses=0&tagfilter[category]=0&tagfilter[type]=0&tagfilter[difficulty]=0&mycourses=&search=Windoor+&langfilter[]=0

Specifically this video around the 1m28s mark discusses the settings for existing walls around Windoor objects:

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/overview/view.php?id=2598

HTH.

Cheers @rDesign you can also access the tutorials from the Settings dialog which is pretty cool...

1676534628_Screenshot2022-04-17at19_15_24.thumb.png.592140b349c52ca91c5f5353e5b207b7.png

I did watch that video already but not had a chance to play with the settings myself yet... There is quite a lot to familiarise yourself with! I have to say, I am very happy to have access to WinDoor + have enjoyed exploring it but although there are extra things you can do with it that you can't do with the standard tools, there are also things I have come to depend on with the standard tools that you CAN'T do with WinDoor which took the wind out of my sails somewhat... So looking forward to the upgrades to the standard tools asap...

• Like 1