Is it possible to attach a note to a symbol?

Hello,

I'd like to attach some notes to a symbol. For example, the date of creation or the creator. I don't want to attach a record because the information should be unchangeable and not assigned individually to each instance but permanently to the symbol.

Any hints?

Thank you

VvierA

Two ideas I can think of if you don't want a normal record.

1. Use text in a hidden class

Benefits: Easily changed by the user

Problems: Easily changed by the user. Bounding box will grow larger.

2. Use a hidden record format

Benefits: Not easily changed by the user without a script

Problems: Not easily changed by the user without a script

It kind of depends on how you are going to use the info.

If you attach a record format as Jonathan suggests, you can then run a script that will make that format hidden. I think it is SetPrefBoolean(H1,900,False).

If you know the format name and fields you can still access them through a worksheet, but there is no easy way to get at the info otherwise without a script.

@Jonathan

I tried it and now I know why it's not exactly what I was looking for:

The record information can accidently be changed by the user and afterwards it's not easy to find out, if any information has been changed.

@Pat

Option Nr. 1 is what I'm going for - I think. It looks the most like the solution I was looking for. My favourite was some kind of 'information or notes window' as a standard feature for every symbol. You shouldn't be to see that information as a user of the symbol but not be able to change it without entering some kind of 'edit symbol mode'.

Thank you both