importing / exporting DWG's at accurate 0.0 coordinates

Whan importing a simple DWG file, I can make modifications, then export again, and it will usually open in the exact 0.0 coordinate as the original file. However some files (perhaps because they are large or more complex), do not open at the EXACT coordinates, but are somewhat shifted. This is very frustrating. I need to compile many drawings on one map (city planning). The files come from various sources. In autocad they all open in accurate coordinates. In VW however, they get shifted. this is true whether i import them intio a single file, or try to bind them as a workgroup. There is always a slight shift (never identical) as if vectorworks is somehow attempting to center the imported files, and therby looses it's origin.This is very frustrating!!!

Please Help. This is a key issue, for which i found no explenation neither in the manual, nor in the discussion forum on imprting DXF

• 3 months later...

I have found this behavior as well. As you stated, it is random & unpredictable. I believe that the import process is moving the origin of the drawing rather than importing the file into the wrong place. As a work around, I have started opening the drawings in ACAD 1st & placing a point/locus @ 0,0 so that I can fix things in Vectorworks after the import.

That said, this is a huge problem & clearly needs to be resolved soon.

-haich