ROOF GEOMETRY too complex! Really?

I am less than a week in using VW 2013 and I am modeling an incredibly simple house. I am amazed at how many of the old problems persist and how many new problems are present.

I have attached a file of the image. It seems I will have to create a dormer roof to make the garage (on the right) despite the actual roof not appearing that way. The parametric object itself is a remarkable tool but when it cannot handle basic roofs, it's value falls to nil!

Rather than saying the cryptic "The geometry is too complex" message, something a bit more specific is mandatory! I have adjusted polys by a few pixels and had roofs work in the past after hours of fiddling and that is unacceptable.

I am impressed with the EXPORT to C4D thus far and little else. The modeling engine offers me nothing that the old engine didn't and the attitude of the salespeople suggest that all is not well in VW land. $3,400.00 for three components? I had three clients last year! What we need VW is authentic listening and solutions in context. I have not upgraded for 5 years due to the economy and making super efficient my workflow and I am NOT happy with what I am experiencing here! It's impossible to make money when ten minute tasks take 3 hours.

Any suggestions about the roof poly would be appreciated.

Two suggestions: 1) Make sure that all lines are *straight*. A 1? angle sometimes causes the Create Roof to fail. 2) I am assuming that the re-entrant cut in the upper left has a higher plate height? If so, try simply adding that small portion back in to the original poly and run the command again. If it works, then Ungroup the Roof in to Roof Faces and use Clip Surface to remove that portion. I know this isn't a perfect solution, however it might let you get on with your job.

I always use rectangles to make a poly for a hip or gable roof. In your case, 3 rectangles could be made, overlapping each other, to make into a polygon with Add Surface. This will always avoid the complex problem a 90.13? line will make, and will only take a few minutes, as this did:

[img:left]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1931541/roof.png[/img]

Edited by Bob-H
BLINK, it was suggested to me by another long time power user that perhaps your original polygon was not "Closed". This would also cause the command to fail.

Cipes and Bob H hi and thanks for the responses. Been a VW user sine the late 80's before it was VW. They tend to repeatedly lose my login data. Curious that.

The poly was indeed closed.... The failures occurred at the point when the second or third gable was being created via the dialogue box in two separate.

Bob's roof drawing above is correct with one exception, the right side main roof is also a GABLE and not HIPPED as it's shown. Thanks for doing this btw.. Extend the main ridge all the way to the right building face and that is what is 'as-built'.

There were two problems. The short jog at the porch on the front left area and the garage which will not gable if the main roof is gabled. The left side problem was solved. I assume that was a '90.13 degree' issue'.

Having modified the garage geometry many times, I assume I must create a dormer for the garage but that is not accurate. I do not want a window there, rather a solid face to match the house siding. Only one gable works when the right side is flush unless I create a separate roof model as shown in the 2nd image.

By offsetting the original rectangle slightly from the right side of the main rectangle inline with the porch opposite, on one occasion a satisfactory dormer-like roof appeared but then failed when making a gable stating that the geometry is too complex. Detaching it is the only solution.

Thanks again, JG

PS: I have two images to upload but cannot detect a button to do so! Ahhhh, I decided to 'Quote' the previous post instead and there it is.

In the images you will see that by shifting the garage roof over slightly, I am able to create a garage roof. I will then ungroup this, delete the rest (it's a copy to create the garage roof only) and merely place it as a group of 3D polygons on the ROOF layer. I see no other way.....

Cipes and Bob H hi and thanks for the responses. Been a VW user sine the late 80's before it was VW. They tend to repeatedly lose my login data. Curious that.

The poly was indeed closed.... The failures occurred at the point when the second or third gable was being created via the dialogue box in two separate.

Bob's roof drawing above is correct with one exception, the right side main roof is also a GABLE and not HIPPED as it's shown. Thanks for doing this btw.. Extend the main ridge all the way to the right building face and that is what is 'as-built'.

There are two problems, the short jog at the porch on the front left area and the garage which will not gable if the main roof is gabled. The left side problem was solved. I assume that was a '90.13 degree' issue'.

Having modified the geometry many times, I assume I must create a dormer for the garage but that is not accurate. I do not want a window there, rather a solid face to match the house siding. Only one gable works To add an end gable creates a shed-like garage roof that is low on the left, has no gable and slopes upwards to a max height on the right....

By offsetting the original rectangle slightly (3" at 1/2" scale) from the right side of the main rectangle inline with the porch opposite, on one occasion a satisfactory dormer-like roof appeared over the garage with only a sight offset to the front facing large roof, but the left side as described above then failed when making a gable and gave the message the geometry is too complex.

It's a simple roof, thus my post! These are nearly identical problems that were present in VW 2008!

Thanks again, JG

PS: I have two images to upload but cannot detect a button to do so!